Active Procrastination

If any one has an issue with being too productive, trying too hard on assignments and extracurriculars, or the like and is seeking an interventionist to help slow you down; look no further.

I’ve recognized a correlation between an increase in my time spent working on things completely unrelated to mandated work as deadlines and due dates approach.  Notable highlight of this: last week I was assigned to give a 5-10 minute oral presentation on a prominent 17th century philosopher as well as take a mandated quiz for a class on Islamic history.   On top of the typical few hundred pages of reading required as a history major, I had these two rather large deliverables.  As such, within three days I had watched the entire opening season of Justified, amounting to a little less than nine hours.  Additionally, I remained caught up on the current seasons of Shameless as well as House of Lies.

Although I typically do occupy a lot of my time watching TV/movies (which happens to be the focus of my capstone project), it seems as though one of my greatest skills is the ability to distract myself from necessary and important assigned tasks.  Realistically, I should learn from my mistakes, especially as midterms are fast approaching.  However, House of Cards will be released to Netflix this weekend.  So I’m pretty much f*****d (not sure if cursing is allowed/appropriate).

Anyone seeking pointers on effective ways to procrastinate, my skills and aptitude venture far beyond watching TV. I’m chock full of resources and strategies.

One thought to “Active Procrastination”

1. I think I’m starting to see a trend in your blog posts…

On the subject of procrastination:
    Being exceptionally skilled at procrastinating myself (as I am doing right now by trolling the Sweetland blog), I’d like to start an initiative to remove the word “procrastination” from our vernacular, and instead refer to it as being a “lazy perfectionist.” Although I cannot claim this term as my own (a fellow intern of mine this summer taught it to me), I think it has a nice ring to it and really defines us as people. It’s not like we don’t want to do the work (most of the time) or we don’t care, we just have better things that we’d rather be doing. So in reality, we have the best intentions–we just choose not to acknowledge them at the moment. Plus, don’t “they” (side note: don’t you ever wonder who “they” are?) say: “It all works out in the end, and if it doesn’t work out, then it’s not the end?” I think that quote is referring to procrastination.

As for cursing:
    I say, to hell with it?