Committing to a (re)purpose

While exploring my options for repurposing, the most difficult challenge I faced was finding a work to which I could commit over the rest of the semester. What if I chose the wrong piece and ended up hating the entire Gateway course because of it? What if I bit off more than I could chew?

I’m still not certain of where I should truly be going, but I know one thing–it’s time to finally make a choice and commit.

There were three choices I presented my group. One was of a piece I wrote for a writing competition senior year of high school. It was a short performance piece that explored the way a writer can be defined by the characters he or she creates. In this work, there is a writer who announces to the audience that he will showcase himself as a writer through the monologues of his characters. The characters give their monologues as separate scenes, and through these monologues we see how the characters are not only written subjects, but also play active roles as writers in the writer’s mind. I considered repurposing it into a fiction piece for an audience of fiction readers, or even into a speech on writing.

The other option I presented to my group was a play I wrote last year. In this play, one of the main arguments is that the gay community is not a united front, but a divided one with hierarchies of its own, the main hierarchy being that of masculinity with the most “straight-acting” gays being those most impressive or most attractive.

Lastly, I presented a project from my senior year in high school in which I wrote about the relevancy of monogamy in the modern world. This was a research paper for my Honors English teacher to read. For repurposing it, I wanted to focus on one argument that I made that the modern world, though seemingly more “connected” than ever before, has made true connection more difficult than ever before. For this repurposing, I wanted to write a piece that did a more thorough investigation of this specific argument, demonstrating the ways in which social media, texting, dating sites and apps, and a highly individualized culture tend to split us apart rather than unite us, which makes finding an actual connection in this world of artificial connections much more crucial.

I have chosen to do my last idea because I feel most fascinated by its relevancy to today. Instead of it being an academic work meant for a teacher, I would like to change it into a creative work meant for a general audience. I want to make either a short fiction, drama, or screenplay that explores the questions of the modern disconnect in the quest to find connection. I am not entirely sure of what story to tell, but I know the argument behind it should read “it’s harder than ever to connect, and for this reason a true connection is that much more crucial.”

3 thoughts to “Committing to a (re)purpose”

1. Levi,

I feel that we are in a similar boat in terms of commitment phobia (which, as I type this, seems ironic) to a piece. I have several pieces that come to mind, but none I love enough that fits the model of the project at hand, or none that I want to nurture for the rest of the semester. I feel like this rough draft has sort of snuck up on us, and feel pressure to make the quick, but also the correct decision.

That being said, I do think that you are making the right decision with your third option. I think that the most effective way to approach this project is going to be taking something researched and making it into something personal and creative. Your topic sounds excellent, too. Best of luck!

2. I remember talking about these pieces with you as we did the peer review last week, and though I think all of them could have been great for the re-purposing, I do think you made an excellent decision. There are just so many directions you can take with this, and I don’t think you even need to limit it to just one. There are so many perspectives you can get on this topic from participants in these relationships (both platonic relationships staying “connected” via social media and romantic monogamous relationships struggling to remain intimacy because of these newfound connections).

Being a participant in both types of relationships, I can truly attest to your point on artificial connections. I think it’s important to understand both the pros and cons of this new social media, but to educate on just how detrimental it is to actual bonds between people, because enough participants definitely don’t realize it. With all the approaches to this topic you could take, I’m really looking forward to seeing how it turns out!!

3. I definitely can resonate with your fear of resenting the Gateway course because of the piece of writing you choose to work with for your re-purposing project. I find it hard to strike a balance between wanting to work with something interesting enough that you don’t get bored but also having a enough content to work with.

I think you made the right choice, though. That is, I think your idea is awesome. It’s a really compelling topic and I love that you’re bringing it to the 21st century. It would be so interesting to examine our texting and technological world and how that affects the way we interact with each other, and therefore the issue you bring up about a connectedness. It’s almost ironic that the Internet was supposed to be used to connect people (i.e. Facebook), yet it’s made people more anti-social and alienated. Mind boggling, isn’t it?

Good luck! I think this is really going to be awesome. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.