E(eek)Portfolio

Well, this is overwhelming.

As I said before, I don’t do reading or technology, with a strong emphasis on technology. So naturally, this project sounds daunting. But what’s worse, I think, are the amount of things we need to consider before we even put our toes into the water that is the Eporfolio. We are told to answer one of the prompts, and so I choose the one that has absolutely nothing to do with the reading experience or the media involved — since each of those sounds like adding more clicks and well yeah not right now. OK so here goes nothing:

Do you want your portfolio to be organized around a guiding theme or metaphor or thesis?  Do you want subthemes or subsections?  How explicit do you want the theme or metaphor or thesis to be?  Why?

Good question! I would have said “no,” about 20 minutes ago, but then I was able to think through part of this question in a previous blog post and I change my answer: yes. Some of the concerns I have about creating a theme center around the fact that my three feature pieces may end up having to do with bullying, which while a perfectly valid topic to explore, is not me. I don’t take myself for a deeply emotional, reflective, vengeful or project-forwarding person. In other words, as much as my experiences shape me, fifth grade me is certainly not me. I do not consider myself a victim and don’t want my portfolio to be misconstrued as something it is not. I have reservations about going forward with my projects as it is, but that is another problem for another task. In the end, I want my portfolio to be something I can give to an employer as a representation of my versatility as a writer, not as a victim or as a champion for victims of bullying. At the same time, a lot of my work is centered around sports, and I do really want to move away from that too, to be able to show a different side of my writing ability.

With that being said, I think that I want to make the theme of my portfolio “Why I.” Obviously, the basis for this theme is the “Why I Write” essay, but I think that all of the “Why I” pieces serve to uncover a larger part of why I do the things I do, where I have come from and where I am going in life. It it a “theme” that has many ways to fill in the blanks I think that this is appropriate for a future employer for several reasons. I think it allows me to incorporate a large range of work, to show my creativity and to add both serious and humorous pieces. It is both self-reflective and provocative in the sense that it should be highly relatable to others. What is a resume and cover letter but a “Why I would be a good fit at your company, please hire me because here’s Why I want to work for or with you” essay in and of itself. I think (and hope) that this theme will be able to carry me through the capstone course, something I can update with material that matters to me in the distant future.

2 thoughts to “E(eek)Portfolio”

1. Hey Erin,

I really enjoyed your honesty in this post! I could really relate to your feelings towards the E-portfolio, particularly your thoughts regarding so many of your pieces being about bullying. Though none of my writing assignments will be about bullying, because we all have to remediate the same assignment that we repurpose, two of our three mandatory assignments on our e-portfolio will be the same. This can be really intimidating, especially considering this is a tool employers will use in evaluating us.

One comfort, though, is that we are not solely limited to placing pieces from this class in our e-portfolio. We’re allowed to place any assignment or piece of work that we find valuable. In doing this, I think you can remedy having too many bullying articles.

2. Hey Erin,

Your post really resonated with me, especially after we have gotten farther into our re-mediation projects. I think the struggle truly centers around how we want to be viewed by our audience, and what the construction of that audience is. I would also love to be able to use this project as a piece to show future employers, so that is something I have kept in the back of my mind with every decision I make: is this something that will benefit me, something a future employer might look highly upon?

I guess the way I look at the project now is that I am turning it in for a grade in the course, but receiving that grade does not mean the end of my project. Maybe you can mix it up after to semester is over and transform it into something more applicable to the work place? In any case, our work is a work in progress and it can always be improved.

Hope yours is going well!
    Abigail