Interactive Timelines

For my new media skill I am going to learn how to make an interactive timeline on Tiki-Toki. I think this would be a really great way to visually document my three-week withdrawal from social media. Each day of the timeline would include the aspects of connection/conversation that I am recording, along with any commentary I want to include.

What’s great about the Tiki Toki platform – besides from it being very clear and easy-to-use – is that you can embed images and videos into each “day” or “post.” The user can easily scroll through the timeline by dragging their mouse over the days they wish to read more about. The only downside to the platform is that I may need to pay a small amount to upgrade for a better version of the timeline. Karly and I took some time today to go over the platform (she will be using it for her comedy in film project), and we believe the upgrade may be worth the additional features it provides. Below is an example of one of the timelines:

beautiful-timeline

On another note, after meeting with my mentor on Tuesday (yay!) I learned that my project is not really an “experiment.” Instead, I will be referring to the method as an auto-ethnography. An auto-ethnography is “a form of self-reflection and writing that explores the researcher’s personal experience and connects this autobiographical story to wider cultural, political, and social meanings and understandings.”

That’s all for now!

2 thoughts to “Interactive Timelines”

1. Alexis,

First off, I am glad we were able to work together exploring tiki-toki! I’m excited to create our two very different timelines, but be able to help each other out in the process!

On another note, I am excited for you that the scope of your project has changed a little bit. It will definitely be interesting to think of this project more along the lines of a self reflection than a form of research. That way, it has more of a personal meaning to you, your technology and social media use, and the effects that your social media use have on your social interaction! Great job and good luck on everything.

2. Alexis, I’m curious which features of Tiki-Toki are only available in the upgrade. What was it in particular that convinced you to go for the upgrade, and how do you think these extra features will enhance your project in a way the standard version can’t? It does seem like a pretty good marketing strategy to withhold certain features in the free version, but it sounds like the cost to upgrade isn’t too much.

Also, do you still plan to do a Tumblr to present your findings? If so, maybe you could embed the Tiki-Toki in the Tumblr, or vice versa.