Joss Whedon: The King of Creating Queens

I was nine when I discovered the amazing world of Joss Whedon’s imagination, though I didn’t know it was his work at the time. I watched Disney’s underrated Atlantis: The Lost Empire and it quickly became my second favorite movie (next to Hercules, of course. Have you heard that soundtrack?). The story was all Whedon’s, but this was before he created the cult success that was Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I rediscovered Whedon’s work again as a college student. It began with Avengers and I worked my way backwards through DollhouseFirefly, and Serenity. If you’ve ever watched a Joss Whedon film or TV show, you’ll notice that there’s a recurring theme: strong female characters. The women that he imagines are confident in their abilities, they’re witty, they’re intelligent, and they break every gender role that we know. He goes even further to create equal societies where the men appreciate these female characters and the unique strengths that they possess. For this reason, I truly admire the work that he’s done both inside and out of the entertainment industry.

Whedon gave an interview in which he provided guidelines for getting things done and if there’s anyone I’ll listen to, it’s him. So here are his guidelines:

1. Get specific
2. Get the fun stuff done first, and let the rest fill in instead of working chronologically
3. Reward yourself early and often (give yourself some chocolate for just HAVING the idea)
4. Fill the tanks. In other words, read and watch as much stuff as you can that is outside of your comfort zone. Otherwise, your narrow-mindedness will show
5. Enlist your friends. Have them help you with your project
6. Find someone to give you tough love

Now that is a step-by-step guide for getting stuff done if I’ve ever seen one.

2 thoughts to “Joss Whedon: The King of Creating Queens”

1. Interesting list, Gabriella. With regard to our capstone project, I feel like just getting past #1 has been an accomplishment for me. I guess this is exactly what the project proposal and production plan were intended to accomplish. At any rate, I’m glad to finally be moving on to #2 and, well, the fun stuff… (Would that I had known about #3 earlier!)

Regarding #6, I think sometimes the best “tough love” in writing is simply getting someone to give you his brutally honest opinion of your work. Personally, I would much rather have someone tell me early on that my writing is terrible than make it all the way to the end of my project and realize it myself.

2. Gabby, this list is quality! I may just screen shot it and send it to my phone. I may even take a picture of it on my phone and make it my wall paper. No. I’ll do both, and send them to my friends, and say that you got it from somewhere so they don’t think I’m completely over-balances and controlled.

Atlantis? It’s one of those kids movies that I remember but don’t remember; the plot, yes, the characters, no. Maybe I’ll indulge in this in the small space of free time I have. Nonetheless, it’s cool that you’ve followed Joss Whedon for these years. I like the character portrayal he’s activating, very powerful tool he has there! There’s a Beyonce song that talks about this in a way (about women needing to understand their overall worth, not only their physical beauty). You may have heard it; but a motivational speaker has a part in the song at time 2:20 if you’d like to listen to it and speed it up. It’s pretty cool, you should check it out if you haven’t;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMgMnMJ7rWo