Let’s get Creative

Right now my writing is going through another transition phase. This has happened several times in the past as I moved from elementary to middle school, middle school to high school, and then high school to college. Now, I’m about to head off into the “real” world and I know that my writing is about to undergo a major change, just like I am. In the past 21 years of my life, writing was always compulsory. I did do some small creative projects on the side, but the majority of my written work was produced within the controlled sphere of a classroom.

As I move forward, I know that I’m still going to write on the job, no matter what industry I find myself in. The beauty of having an actual job though is that my work generally ends when I’m off the clock (though on the clock could mean 12 hours). After work, my pursuits are up to me and I make choices on how to spend my free time. As a university student, it’s difficult to balance things like working out and reading for pleasure with the demands of schoolwork. I’m looking forward to having the time for the things that I enjoy doing, though I know I’m going to miss this place.

It’s always been a goal of mine to write a fiction novel. It’s not something I’ve had time to work on in the past, and I’m extremely excited to have that opportunity in the future. I haven’t written fiction since 9th grade, so it’s going to be a challenge to pick it back up again. But it doesn’t matter because I love writing fiction and I’m so ready to get creative again.

I really don’t know what to link to, so here’s an image that inspires me while I write.
third-place-winner-say-cheese-location-masai-mara-national-park-kenya

2 thoughts to “Let’s get Creative”

1. If your goal is to create a novel, I’d like to invite you (challenge you?) to see it as a continuation of college–like the rest of your life is a series of independent study courses. Make timelines and due dates. Make proposals and revise them. Pick mentors and share those documents with him/her so somebody else knows what you’re up to and you’ll feel the need to comply with the objectives you set out for yourself. We’ve all had that experience where we thought of something grand we wanted to do, but then days slipped away and woops where did my summer, my vacation, my time off from work, my LIFE go? Plan the details and take them down one by one. This class, I think, is the perfect practice to see how you can make your novel a reality not too long after graduation.

2. I really like that you have a specific writing goal in mind! I think it is a great may to build on your motivation to write in the future. I am a lot like you in that my writing has changed with phases of my life, especially with what I am learning in school. From your inspirational picture, it seems like you like to be creative and it goes along well with your goal to write fiction! You mentioned having a job and writing fiction as two different things. Would you ever consider attempting to bridge the two together?