Never is a Strong Word

The average life expectancy of Americans is about 79 years. That equates to approximately 4122 weeks, 28854.1 days, and 692499 hours on this Earth. Not only did “googling” those numbers give me a small panic attack because they weren’t nearly as large as I expected them to be (but large nonetheless), they made me think. What do we do with all this time? Do we travel to new cities every week and try new foods for every meal and experience new, thrilling events daily? No. Well, some of us might, but they are either terminally ill or have too much money for their own good. The frankly pathetic truth is that there are so many things to be experienced and interacted with in this world, but for the most part, we often adhere to only a few. The world is simply too big to allow for any other outcome. We are creatures of habit; of routine. Schedules and careful planning set our minds at ease. For this reason, it can be rather easy to find yourself bored with various aspects of your life rather quickly.

This is normal phenomenon. There is no escaping that callousness that develops after prolonged exposure to a particular object or setting. In fact, that ability to “get used” to something is precisely what helps us as humans to adapt and endure. The human stomach was not originally meant to be able to process gluten. Yet here we stand, devouring crispy bagels and toast dripping with butter  (aren’t you glad we adapted?).  On the less large-scale (and perhaps more relevant) side, this means that there are many aspects of our everyday lives that we find ourselves struggling to engage with each day as we tire of its ever-present nature in our lives. I get sick of my tennis shoes less than a month after purchasing them; my friend can never have the same color nail polish for more than a week; and so on and so forth. So what a magical experience it is when you find something that you never tire of. Now I know what you’re thinking: Never is a strong word. And it’s true that we can’t know whether or not we “never ” get sick of something until we die, but I suppose still enjoying something after 19 years is a feat in and of itself. So let’s just go with that for now. Here are a few things that I haven’t gotten sick of yet:

The smell of the room after someone peeled an orange – It is the most refreshing scent I have heretofore experienced.

Christmas trees – They remind me of a time when everyone is happy, together, and giving.

Chocolate – Need I elaborate?

Laughter –  I live for those times when I am so happy that all I can do to express it is laugh until tears stream from my eyes and I can’t breathe. 

And last but certainly not least (but certainly most sappy):

My family – Sometimes I think that I just need a break from the five people who I have spent more time with than anyone else, but whenever I leave them, all I want to do is have one more conversation with my eccentric brothers, my sassy sister, my goofy father, and my adorable mother.

This list is not set in stone. While at this point in time, I truly believe that it is, I have no way of knowing what the future holds for me. Human beings are not static; we are fluid. If we are not content with something, we have the power to change it, to make it into something different. Now that is something that I will never tire of: the ability to and make my own decisions and choices as I stumble along this long and winding road we affectionately call life.

One thought to “Never is a Strong Word”

1. I have the same list – minus the smell of peeled oranges. I don’t know why, but that just doesn’t do it for me.

I agree with “my family” the most. Sometimes when we are with family we want to leave and be an independent person again. But the second we leave, we want to go right back. That means we are lucky. It is a gift having a family you rather spend time with over friends, school, or really anything.

After I read your list, I was not surprised by the things on it. But, within a second I has a sad realization that not many people have all those things. Do you ever think about that? It is easy to take those things, especially family, for granted. When do you think about it the most? During the holiday? Two days after you leave home and return to your school “home”? Or, on a daily basis?