Out of the Slump

To be completely honest, at the beginning this Re-Purposing project gave me a bit of a headache. I don’t know if it was because I felt that I had never been challenged in such a way before or if it was because the idea I chose is neither dynamic nor broad enough for me to expand on it in the way that is expected. I got discouraged, considered changing my base piece approximately seven times, and finally decided to just give in.

Giving in was possibly the best thing that I could have done for myself in regards to this project. I didn’t look at the story for a few days, I left all my paper copies under my desk, and I conveniently ignored every due date that I knew was fast approaching. When I finally crawled underneath my desk and grabbed the papers, again frustrated and perhaps a tad hopeless, I had a revelation. I am a good writer, and I have a good imagination, and this story is interesting. To confirm, I sent my story over to my father, the most intelligent person and best writer that I know, to evaluate. His feedback was quite positive and exactly what I needed to bolster my confidence.

This newfound confidence in my project has also made the technicalities of this project much easier to bear. The Salem Witch Trials aren’t exactly a bright and happy topic, and much of the literature I have found thus far is appropriately disturbing. I’ve read more descriptions of piercing screams and the smell of burnt flesh than I care to count. But after my newfound interest in my topic, I’ve been able to concentrate longer and to find more numerous and also dynamic sources from which to base my research.

I’ve also decided to utilize the movie The Crucible as part of my research. (Trailer here) I think that this is appropriate in two important ways: firstly, because I am writing a script, it will give me an idea of how to space dialogue, define physical actions, and describe characters – particularly because their outfits and body language are very specific to that time period. Secondly, I think that breaking up long hours of tedious reading with a movie will give me a fresh perspective on the topic. “Wall-of-text syndrome” is certainly something I frequently suffer from, especially when I need to conduct more than basic research on a topic.

For the first time since beginning this project, I am excited to continue with it. I am no longer feeling discouraged or hopeless; I am perhaps feeling a little overwhelmed considering I shirked my responsibilities with regards to repurposing for so long, but it’s nothing that I can’t make up with dedication and time. I am looking forward to using class time and getting feedback on my project – I realize that my peers are also an excellent resource for everything I am planning to do and I do not want to waste this opportunity.

So here’s hoping I don’t regress back to my hopelessness and desperation, and instead am able to accomplish something I am proud of and I feel is worthy of my time and talent.

One thought to “Out of the Slump”

1. Bailey,
    I seem to be feeling a similar way about this project. I am still afraid of thinking too much about the project because it seems like so much work and the moment I start thinking about everything, I get very overwhelmed. Now that it is Spring Break, I am hoping I will get my moment of revelation. I hope the light bulb will go off in my head, allowing me to get super excited about this project. Reading this has convinced me to get the stuff that I need for this project out and to actually dedicate some time to thinking more about this project. Hopefully I will start to get excited, too!