Rethinking My Project

When I started thinking about my project, I wanted to do something related to current events. I also wanted to avoid intense political views. I decided to focus on a current event because I thought it would be a new way to commemorate something that happened to¬†everyone during my senior year of college, and put a new spin on it. That’s when I thought about doing the Olympics: Sochi starts on Friday.

When I first started my project proposal, I was thinking about too many things at once. In short, I wanted to write about nearly everything the Olympics had to offer, besides analyzing the sports. I knew ahead of time that this was too broad, and I need to make my project more focused for it to have any real impact.

I met with Julie and it was a big help! I had thought about combining the Olympics with my major, Economics. After talking through all of my ideas with Julie, I thought the most interesting Olympic/Economic combination would be to focus on the impact economics had on the Olympics, and to extend this thought further, the impact the two had on globalization – another topic I am interested in!

Whereas before I felt overwhelmed, I now feel like I have more direction before starting my project. I am excited for the final outcome, and I hope you are too!

3 thoughts to “Rethinking My Project”

1. Jourdan, this sounds really interesting! It seems like the specificity was all you needed in order to get more excited. It’s much easier to dial in to one thing and cover it very throughly than overwhelming yourself by trying to do too much without enough depth. Glad to hear you’re excited about your path, I am also excited to see this progress!

2. I’m excited to see what you will come up with! I’m curious also about how you are thinking to present your findings? Although you could of course do this in a traditional academic paper, I think your topic will be extremely heightened by multimedia incorporation. Good luck!

3. I think this is a great idea! I’m glad you feel better and have it figured it out. It’s a great topic because a big part of the olympics, outside of what’s going on inside, is what the olympics is doing for the country. Many countries fight over who will be hosting the olympics because of how much its benefits the economy. Cam’t wait to see what you come up with!