So this eportfolio….

I, unlike most of my classmates, am not going anywhere for spring break. Instead, I think I have a hot date with Mr. Eportfolio, because thinking about the questions made me realize I’m grabbing at straws in terms of where to start.

I guess I always thought, “Oh wow, a portfolio, what work do I want to include in it?” as opposed to “how interactive do you want your portfolio to be?” Maybe this is due to the fact that the only real time I heard the word portfolio used until this point was on Mad Men when a portfolio is just a manila envelope with sketched out ideas for advertisements. I know that we actually have computers now and should be more technologically savvy (heavy emphasis on “should be”) but there are still people like I am who can think elaborate things up in their heads but could never put them on a screen.

I know, I am really setting myself up for success with this project thus far. But here’s where I’m coming from: upon reading the first question on the prompt “What reading experience do you want your audience to have, both of the portfolio as a whole and of the particular artifacts you include?” I thought to myself, “I want my audience to have an enjoyable experience.” Boom. Done. Next question please. Then I read the bullet point underneath. This eportfolio is a lot more intricate than just posting what I’ve written onto the World Wide Web. I really need to consider how I want my audience to feel reading this. I most certainly do not want to come across as boring and run of the mill, so I have to upload what I’ve written in a way that evokes my personality. Seems easy enough.

But then I remember that I don’t know how to use computers, or at least things always come out better in my head than they do when I try to put them into motion. I think that to make people want to read what I post on my eportfolio, I’m going to have to differentiate myself somehow. I think it’s going to take almost “blogifying” (I think I just made up a word) my old work. What I mean is if and where I had citations, actually link it to the piece, or break up the blocks of text with images and videos, something to keep the reader motivated. I think just by incorporating media into my already existing writings I could potentially open up the doors for more conversation as well; instead of just spewing information at my audience, they could see examples of what I’m talking about (if it’s applicable), and choose to talk to me about it or not.

I’m also torn about what artifacts to include in my eportfolio. Obviously I have stuff for this class, and maybe some more academic pieces, but I really want my voice to show through everything. I’ve written my fair share of reflective pieces where I’ve had more liberty in how I write, but for the most part in college, everything I’ve produced is very academic and honestly a little boring to just sit down and read. I think it’s going to take me digging through all of my papers to find the pieces I distinctly remember writing and enjoying that I am confident others would like to read as well. I think it might also be beneficial to add links to my social media sites, namely Facebook and Twitter. I don’t know how to have my Twitter feed show up on my eportfolio, but Google could probably help me find a way to make it work. I just think that with an eportfolio you are trying to sell yourself and show who you are as a person, and I think that incorporating my everyday tweets could help me show not only what I’m interested in, but also help me develop the voice of my eportfolio as well.

I suppose this idea of establishing my voice throughout my eportfolio is my guiding theme for this project. I really write the same way that I converse, so I have an established voice when it comes to conversation. But I think that the layout of my eportfolio, how I choose to organize it, and what I decide to include are other ways for my voice to be seen and heard. So ultimately with this project, the biggest challenge I’m probably going to face is to keep the voice of Louise Fletke at the heart of it all.

One thought to “So this eportfolio….”

1. Louise,

I really like the process you go through in your post about picking pieces, and looking at your portfolio in a different way. I feel the same way about it–I’m more concerned about picking which pieces I want to be in it as opposed to how I want it to look or “interact.” I really like the idea of adding your twitter feed to it as a testament to your personality. I would caution you though, after seeing some people including their twitter feeds on their portfolios, it doesn’t always work as you would expect it to. In the few that I have seen, its been very personal twitter accounts, with people responding to their friends instead of putting up tweets that were their own thoughts. I think that if you’re the kind of person who tweets funny one-liners or articles and such, it can work very well. I think using your voice as a theme is a great idea and I look forward to seeing what you do with it!