Someone get me a Staples button, cause that was easy (AKA: Repurposing Reflection)

Sorry if I offend anyone by saying this, but I don’t think I could honestly care any less about the feminist movement. I know that probably sounds bad and that I might have made some enemies just now, but I’m kind of over women complaining all the time about stereotypes in the media and how it influences us to be skinny and sexy 24/7. I’m not just over it because I hear it all the time or see countless posts on Facebook about gender equality; I’m over it because more likely than not, women neglect the fact that men are faced with just as many stereotypes.

This preface might seem pointless, but trust me, it isn’t. I’ve done a lot of research and written some papers and conducted a content analysis study all about this idea of hegemonic masculinity and its acceptance or rejection in mainstream media. So going into this repurposing assignment, I thought it only natural to transform one of these pieces.

When we got into our groups I was leaning toward one piece quite heavily, so I think that for me, talking with my group members just confirmed what I already knew I wanted to do. Even when I explained the two potential paths, they all mentioned how much more excited I was for my first idea and told me to go for it.

Without further ado— for this repurposing assignment I am taking an essay that I wrote my freshman year in Communication Studies 101 about the masculinities represented in Modern Family and transforming it into a GQ Magazine article. Seeing as the original essay was written for a college class, it takes on a more academic tone as I argue that there are more masculinities represented in Modern Family than simply that of a hegemonic male.

Each of the men in "Modern Family" (including Luke and Manny) bring a different type of masculinity to the table.
Each of the men in “Modern Family” (including Luke and Manny) bring a different type of masculinity to the table.

The goal of the original assignment was to watch a television show analytically and apply concepts that we learned focusing on representations of women, African Americans, citizenship, or masculinity. Obviously, I chose masculinity and I analyzed the characteristics of the predominant males in the show. The research on this essay wasn’t very excessive; I just drew from the lectures and some readings, so most of the paper was just a content analysis.

While I wrote the original essay for my professor and GSI, in repurposing it, I want to write it for a male audience. We learned a little bit about how not a lot of men are taught these other types of masculinity, and so they feel that they need to just fit one standard mold. I really just want to help the guys out and make this piece the most meaningful by showing men that there are more ways to be manly than one.

In terms of a venue, writing it as a GQ article not only creates the audience that I want, but also the style of writing. It’s actually one of my dreams to write for a magazine someday, so I thought I would take advantage of this opportunity and combine my love for magazine editorial writing to make the repurposed piece less formal and more conversational.

I would talk about my other option for this assignment, but it would just be a massive waste of your time to make you keep reading. I knew from the day that Shelley assigned this to us that I wanted to repurpose my “Multiple Masculinities in Modern Family” paper, and I am honestly looking forward to giving this piece a new home.

5 thoughts to “Someone get me a Staples button, cause that was easy (AKA: Repurposing Reflection)”

1. Louise, I am really looking forward to seeing where this remediation takes you. I haven’t really learned a lot about the media’s acceptance or rejection of hegemonic masculinity, so it was really cool to hear from you about it just in this post. I am curious about your intended audience though: are you intending to reach the classic hegemonic masculine crowd through the GQ article? From the little I know about GQ’s readership, that would probably be your audience. In reaching them, what exactly do you intend to do? Just show them the different ways masculinity can be expressed, or convince them to accept these different ways? Either way, I’m looking forward to seeing the final piece.

2. I think this is a great idea and you will offer a super unique perspective for your repurposing. I agree with you that the flip side of the issue is rarely represented or acknowledged and I am looking forward to see how you write it. I also think its great that you seem to really know what audience you’re targeting with the male readerships at a GQ type magazine and you seem really excited to work on it which will make for great work to read!

3. I did notice that you were more interested in this topic than the first one when our group met. Hegemonic masculinity is definitely something that not many people are aware of or something that is talked about. Would this piece be simply deconstructing modern family specifically or would you be talking about the media as a whole? I think it would be cool if you also brought up other examples of TV or film that might portray different male identities. It would be sweet to see some visual media with your article. Also, I’m really curious to how you would style your writing. Since GQ is geared towards men, it would be cool to how you would maybe alter your tone for the main demographic. I’m excited to see how this will turn out!

4. Hey, Louise, it’s great that you’re addressing the alternative to the issue of what people traditionally see as feminism; however, I think that if you do some research, what you’re going to find out is that you’re in fact supporting the feminist argument. Feminism isn’t just about liberating women, but liberating men from oppressive patriarchal structures. Forced masculinity and inability to be or do what you want to in order to be “manly” or face judgment is definitely one of those oppressive forces. What I really like about your piece is that it can focus on how we need to highlight how men themselves need to be liberated through a feminists approach–not just females. It could be a really great argument if you take your analysis of modern family and incorporate it into that message. Trust me, I understand what you mean about U of M laying on certain aspects of feminism really strongly, and I think it’s great that you want to focus on an aspect about which no one thinks is important.

5. Louise – I’m from the other gateway course and we were tasked with commenting on a blog that caught our attention. The title of yours definitely caught mine! So did the first sentence, but more on that later. I was drawn in by the title because it was complex, relevant, and intriguing. I also wanted to figure out what the Modern Family picture had to do with repurposing. Overall, I think you did a nice job hooking in readers from the home page.

In response to your content, I’m really happy you’re focusing on different representations of masculinity. You’re correct in saying that some men feel the pressure to be one type of masculine; however, many feminine stereotypes in response to the definitions of masculinity that are underrepresented. A lot of gender stereotypes are developed in direct response to the other gender, so it’s extremely difficult to separate one from the other. I agree with Levi above and would argue that many feminists would actually laud a piece like this. Might be interesting to use a source like that in your paper. Good luck!