Storytelling Cafe

storytelling hereI often visit medium.com, a website full of individual stories and manifestos from a wide range of people. Journalists have graced the screen with 4 minutes reads while college grads have mustered up a 2 minute spill on “how to remain happy at all costs”. Either way, no matter who writes these stories, I take interest in reading most of them; they’re really inspirational, quirky, and open up a chester-drawer of ideas. Those ideas pull me in, those ideas keep me in the space that they’ve pulled me in, and those ideas give me information that I can share with others (myself included) and take into my writing. Those ideas remind me of small, petite places where I can purchase little snacks and hot drinks. I like to think of it as the storytelling cafe.

The piece I read today was called “Story About Storytelling” by Miloš Raičević . Milos broke down all of the great things about story telling and how to effectively tell a great story. He claimed that the purpose of a great story wasn’t the stories’ originality (because nothing in this life is original; everything has been repeated and altered, tweaked even in the smallest sense) but,the story tellers own, personal story. The personal way we as people tell stories is more unique, more authentic, and more “storytelling-ish”. It was also important when working on stories to tell other people about those stories (the art of storytelling?), and that this would also make your story. That was what makes it interesting. In writing a story, one has to ask them self questions: Who Am I? What Am I Trying to Be? How Would I Like to Present Myself? These questions tailor not only to the writer but also to the audience. The characters or “customers” in the story make the story, not just the writer. We as writers are indeed utilizing others (characters and consumers) to make a great story; one of variety, diversity, and slight difference in this “original” world we’re living in.

storytelling

This article relates to my current/future career as a writer because it helps me learn to write on a broader thinking level; the idea that my stories are not really about me but about the people I tell my stories to and tell my stories about, is intriguing. As I work on my capstone project, I will try to tell people about my project, hopefully helping them spread the word about my project to other people. This will ultimately help broaden my audience

“You could have great products in your portfolio, but if there is no one to spread a word about how good they are, it is the same as you do not exist at all” – MR

I could go in depth into detail when it comes to this amazing article but what would that do? I would be telling whomever is reading this blog a great story that this story teller basically told me but would that be as beneficial as you, the reader, going to the website and reading it from your perspective? Yes, it would! That’s the point of it all honestly, spreading great stories, carrying them on the bus, talking about them with their clients, and ultimately telling those stories, that’s whats important!

2 thoughts to “Storytelling Cafe”

1. “He claimed that the purpose of a great story wasn’t the stories’ originality (because nothing in this life is original; everything has been repeated and altered, tweaked even in the smallest sense)…”

Interesting. But precisely because of this, I think it could also be argued that everything in a story is original. Even given the exact same event, no two writers will produce the same account. In every story, there is always a unique voice, a unique prose, a unique perspective. Despite restrictions on content, length, or genre, it seems it’s this originality that makes good writers, such as Milos, so enjoyable to read.

2. I’d never heard of Medium until you introduced here. I’ll have you know that clicking the link to the website was so dangerous. It’s such a treasure trove of stories, ideas, and great writing!

Anyway, I like the article that you picked to write about. I skimmed it through and it’s certainly an interesting concept. I agree that the WAY you tell a story is as important as what’s in it. Take James Earl Jones, for example. That man can make the most mundane story sound like an epic battle between good and evil. The difficulty for us, though, is capturing the reader not with our voices, but with our words. I know that I have a lot of difficulty with that when I write for classes. It’s so much easier to be compelling when we discuss what we truly care about. Fortunately for you, you appear to be very excited about the topic that you are writing your project on, so I can only imagine that you’ll present it in such a compelling way that no one else could.