Ummm, about these micro-assignments…#RayRay

I’m going to come out and state the obvious…I’m writing this blog post as a way to get points. There, I said it.

I’m putting that out there because I have spent the past day doing everything I can to rack up some points before we head for spring break. I did, by my count, four micro-assignments to snag some points, with the intention to do a couple more tomorrow.

My intention is not to make you feel bad that you aren’t doing this either; rather, I want to say that I AM STILL SO STRESSED OUT ABOUT THE POINTS WE NEED FOR THIS CLASS. I literally spent hours today doing these assignments for, what, maybe 100 points? For 1/20th of the grade I need to earn an A?

I know the goal of this class, and the Minor, is to not worry about grades as much and focus more on the writing process, on stimulating yourself as a writer and thinker, on engaging in different forms of media, but I can’t help it. I have academic goals (GPA, graduation honors, etc) that I don’t want to miss out on by not completing these micro-assignments that are staring me in the face. Yet I feel like I am ignoring the more important things for the class–the Evolution Essay, building out my portfolio, the Capstone Project–to focus on gaining points with micro-assignments that aren’t always applicable to my project. I’m trying to strike the correct balance between the two, but it just seems like I wasted a day that could have been spent perfecting my Evolution Essay or even getting a head start on my project. ¬†And, with just about a month left after spring break and before everything is due, I am feeling increasingly panicked about not getting the # of points I need for an A. I want an A in the class AND to produce outstanding work, but I’m really struggling to make it work.

I know we talked about it in class, but is anybody else feeling this way? Any suggestions on how to make me feel better about myself?

iStock_000009744255Small

One thought to “Ummm, about these micro-assignments…#RayRay”

1. This picture perfectly sums up how I feel. I want to quit so bad. I also just found out that I essentially need to ace everything this semester in order to graduate with honors. Last semester I slacked off. Now, I must return to my gunner status. Sad. I have chosen to take like an entire day of spring break and dedicate it to mindlessly completing micro-asignments. I say mindlessly because if I was actually thinking I would be completing other things that are way more pressing and important (studying, working on the essay, doing my project, assembling my portfolio). However, I have a new plan for those. The essay is essentially done. I will relook at it a week before it is due and complete it. As for the project I am going to ignore it until I feel inspired to work on it, or a due date comes up whichever is first. My portfolio will be assembled the night before. Tada!