Busy, busy, busy

Let me start off by saying that in the mood to complain, again, so please excuse me. I am in the process of getting up a trip to St. Paul, Minnesota, trying to manage the many, many classes I will be missing from Wednesday on in order to go to the Big Ten Tournament for hockey.

Woe is me.

Three months into Writing 220, I am still irked by the freedom with which we are given to create and submit. We have just six weeks left and are in the “middle” of our second project, but really we are where ever we want to be in whatever project we want to choose. I think about how I am allowed to do what I want, when I want to, but am reminded that I do have to write a poem, make a video (both of which I have no idea how to do), and create a website (same sob story) that features all of the work I’ve done this semester and in the past. Sure, that doesn’t mean a lot of papers or exams, but the freedom to do this all in two hours or two months makes me feel like I will never start, and never finish.

Busy, busy, busy.

I was sitting here stressing, and clearly not paying attention to lecture, about both of these things when I stumbled upon a blog post (irony) that shed light on some of the drawbacks and virtues of being busy. Sure, it told me that I should strongly consider shutting up, that I should quiet my own mind, but also not share my schedule with others, because it is frankly a horrible conversation topic and is just downright rude depending on the phrasing of it. Hey, I should delete this entire post — and I would, were this not for the purpose of sharing this blog with you. But it also had some helpful tips. My favorite:

No Mo FOMO: Sometimes, on weekends when I am out of town and missing out on parties and sorority events and sleeping in and watching Netflix — things all college kids do — I think about how nice it would be to quit the Daily so I could go to formal or so I could take naps during the day instead of going to practice. But then there are moment — I’m riding a roller coaster in the Mall of America, I’m being offered milk and cookies on a private plane, I’m watching a game head into overtime on a last-second goal — when I think about how lucky I am, and how missing out on just another party isn’t really missing out at all.

We are missing out on deadlines. Missing out on exams and papers and that pit in our stomachs that is associated with being given a grade. We are talking about being stressed, when the goal of this course is to replace stress with creativity. Perhaps we need to change our language, as this post suggests. Or perhaps we need to take a breath, be happy, that for once, we are missing out.

Happy reading!

http://blog.idonethis.com/post/45912361388/busyness-not-virtue

One thought to “Busy, busy, busy”

1. Hi Erin, your post sure made me laugh. I like that even as you were complaining, you could laugh at yourself for the silly things we sometimes complain about. It was a good reminder to myself that sometimes I just need to suck it up! I also definitely relate to your feelings on the “freedom” of this class, especially when you said you could do it in “two hours or two weeks.” Sometimes we think it’s awesome to not have impending deadlines every week so that things feel less stressful…and then the end of the semester rolls around and you have 4,000 things to do! I am definitely guilty of that as well. I also liked your inclusion of “FOMO” because it is a serious condition affecting young adults these days (ha, ha) and I know how much it sucks! But I’m glad you found a positive spin on it — those things you get to do sure are special and definitely more unique than the same parties all of your peers go to weekend after weekend. 🙂