Click and Listen

If your computer speakers are on, you should now be hearing some Gregorian Chant! Specifically, you’re listening to the Te Deum, the traditional Catholic hymn used to give thanks to God.

As you might of guessed, the new multimedia skill I learned was how to play music in the background of blog posts and web pages in WordPress. This knowledge would have been very useful for my gateway portfolio on the Mass, but at least I’ll be able to use it for this capstone project on Catholicism in Asia. Music is an extremely important aspect of the Catholic Faith, and the ability to automatically incorporate it into my project will hopefully add an aesthetic element that complements the words on the page.

Learning this skill was not nearly as easy as I thought. At first, I thought it would be so simple that I wasn’t sure if it would even qualify for our assignment over spring break. Perhaps I should have known that simple is not necessarily synonymous with easy, especially if you’re not the most tech-savvy person in the world.

As might be a typical starting place, I first googled “wordpress play audio on page load” and the first hit returned was this WordPress help forum which seemed to answer my exact question. All I had to do, some “expert” claimed, is add a single line of HTML code to the wordpress editor specifying the audio file to be played.

Well, not so fast. Even after I uploaded my file, located the HTML editor (which recently WordPress not-so-conveniently renamed the “Text” editor), and modified the code accordingly, the music upon page load was nowhere to be heard. What was worse, WordPress kept deleting the code fragment, requiring multiple copy-pastes every time I wanted to try again. Even more puzzling was the fact that people in the forum claimed it worked fine for them.

As it turned out, I happend to find an alternate suggestion on an obscure programmer’s blog. The code that this expert gave was also one line, but completely different than the first. The result was completely different too…it worked! While I’m glad to have finally learned how to play music in the background of WordPress, I didn’t realize it would be such a cyber wild goose chase!

Anyways, enjoy the Gregorian Chant…

3 thoughts to “Click and Listen”

1. Joe,

This is a perfect skill for you to learn! I remember you mentioned you were interested in it when you first showed us your portfolio from the Gateway course. Adding music to a webpage (or in our case, portfolio) will instantly enhance the idea you are going for, and will make it more interactive. Also, this skill seems easy to learn and I look forward to trying it out myself!

2. I’m so glad you learned this skill, because now you can teach me! Haha! I have been trying to figure out how to auto play since we first began using wordpress in the gateway course and I could NEVER figure it out. Thank you, and good job! 🙂

3. I’m glad you incorporated the new media skill into this blog post. It’s definitely a unique skill to make your work stand out when people are viewing your portfolio. I’m not sure how I could incorporate it into my project, but if it would make sense anywhere maybe now I will!