Portfolio/Project Progress #mixer

For my project, I’m interviewing/surveying young Indian American women about their perspectives on dating, love, and marriage to find out how they navigate different, sometimes contradictory cultural forces when it comes to relationships. I’m a part of that group too, so I’m also writing something  about my own family: my grandma’s “love marriage” in India, my mom’s arranged marriage in India, and my experiences trying to bridge two cultures when I date and consider whether or not I want to marry. I want my audience to get a better sense of what Indian culture is like, especially what it’s like in this country, and to challenge some of the stereotypes they may or may not have in mind. I also want to demonstrate the range of experiences that come with this particular blend of cultural identities (Indian and American) and how this diversity shapes different experiences of feminism.

So far a lot of people on campus and in other parts of the country have responded to the survey I distributed, so I have a lot of interesting information from that. But I’m still in the process of interviewing people and freewriting about what I’ve gathered so far, so…I don’t really know how I’m going to organize any of this yet. That’s what I’m trying to figure out. All I know is that I want to split the writing up into different subtopics and pages so it’s more digestible, and I want to use as many photos, video/audio clips, and direct quotes as possible to let these women speak for themselves. My job will be to write the connecting threads and try to synthesize everything in a clear, engaging way.

I’ve decided to use Weebly as my portfolio and project platform because of its drag-and-drop site builder and customization options.

Weebly Site Builder

I’m excited about how many opportunities there are to incorporate visuals and audio, both of which are important for my project. It’ll be easy to create a landing page and put the project on display using an image gallery, and I think it’ll look really nice. But on the other hand, I’m worried about having enough high resolution images to make the best use of all that visual space! The Weebly templates all, of course, have huge, beautiful images. I want to make sure my images are relevant to my project and/or portfolio in general and that they’re high quality.

So anyway, my biggest problems right now are organization and time. Big ones. I want to be able to pull everything together without rushing it so I can be happy with the end result, but time is flying and I’m not where I was hoping to be at this point! But I trust that the more I work on it, it’ll come together. This weekend is definitely going to be dedicated to my capstone and my portfolio.

One thought to “Portfolio/Project Progress #mixer”

1. I feel like everyone’s in the same boat when it comes to how much time we have left and where we want to be in two weeks, so don’t be discouraged–I have a good feeling it will come together for all of us!! Looking forward to hearing more about your progress in class later this week.