Workshopping Works #RayRay

A couple of quick thoughts…

Today’s discussion and some of the peer reviews I’ve gotten have been really helpful for my project in terms of both the introduction that I presented to the class and the direction that I need to take for the project itself. It seemed like everybody had fun talking about Harry Potter—I mean come on, who wouldn’t?! However, that also gives me slight anxiety about the fact that I have a lot to live up to. I don’t want to disappoint people who are expecting this amazing creative piece from me, so I guess I have to live up to those expectations and work my butt off over the next month or so! One of the best pieces of advice I got today was that I need to write this exactly how I want to do it. In any piece of artwork, whether it is a drawing, painting, film, novel, anything, there are always going to be critics. I do struggle sometimes with not wanting to let people down, but I think I have to keep in mind throughout this process is that I can’t please everyone. People are interested in what I have to say, not what they expect me to say.

There was some hostility in the room on whether my current approach—writing as if I were a “Muggle” who stumbles upon the scene where Lord Voldemort is being resurrected—is the correct way to do it, or whether I should be myself within the story itself (i.e. a Healer at St. Mungo’s when Arthur Weasley is brought in after his snake bite). The thing that stood out to me, and something that I had never thought of, is that being a “Muggle” inherently forces me to lose a lot of the context about the magical world I’m describing. This definitely is a challenge and is something I’m going to have to work through in order to appease the readers imagination.

I think the mission now is just to dig in and start writing. I have never written anything of this magnitude nor as imaginative/fictional as this project is about to be. And truthfully, thinking about that fact stresses me out. The only way to combat this is to dive right in and just start writing. I have a feeling that through the process of writing it, I will learn more about myself as a writer and how I want the story to go than to just sit there and think about it.

Thanks again for all of your help everyone!! Y’all rock.

2 thoughts to “Workshopping Works #RayRay”

1. Hi Mark, thanks for your post. I also found the in-class workshop incredibly useful. I think it’s inevitable, in a class of 20+ people, to have many different opinions about how to best proceed with an essay. One of the most telling things though is when the vast majority of the class is in agreement. Also, Mark, I have all the confidence in the world that your project will be outstanding. Best of luck and I’ll see you in another workshop today. 🙂

2. Hey Mark! Although this post does not entirely give away your plans for your project, it sounds like your finished product is going to be creative and exciting. I cannot wait to see what you come up with.

I completely know what you mean when you say that you would be limiting yourself in terms of the context of the magical world by writing from the viewpoint of a muggle. However, the great thing about this project is that it can be whatever you want, done however you want, with whatever you want. If you feel it would be best written from the viewpoint of a muggle, I say go for it. You will definitely figure out a way to fit in all of the magical world context you are interested in including!

Good luck with the rest of your project!