I Can Finally See the Light

My project is finally coming together. I am interviewing my father and two of my uncles this weekend so they can talk about their Southern family life in Tennessee and what they remember about their grandparents. I wish I could get their other siblings involved, but they are all the way in Memphis, TN. I will be compiling a list of questions for them to answer together, but I want the questions to be more of a guide than a straight forward questions with a straight forward answer. I want them to be genuine and bounce ideas off of each other. I still plan on interviewing my maternal grandmother in Toledo, OH if I can get down there soon. I don’t think I will be able to interview my paternal grandmother. I have now entitled my project Sankofa: A Black American Story because Sankofa means, “We must go back and reclaim our past so we can move forward; so we understand why and how we came to be who we are today.” Sankofa is an Andinkra symbol. Here is the symbol below. I will explain more in my project.

sank2_med

I used a couple different Andinkra symbols throughout my project to portray different meaning.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice about how to go about my interview?