Last blog post…for a while?

At the beginning of the semester, my classmates and I were tasked with creating a writer’s manifesto. It was a project that left me with the following interpretation.

Why Patrick Baumhart writes!
Why Patrick Baumhart writes!

Looking back, I see that I still hold all these sentiments. Writing is a part of my life that has helped to shape my identity. The minor in writing is just a venue from which this can be fostered. It is still about capturing the “amber of the moment.” Yet, I have also learned that writing can be a major source of annoyance in my life. The more time that I spend writing, the more I expect from myself with each new piece. Sylvia Plath managed to capture this phenomenon in a way that relates to my situation.

“Some things are hard to write about. After something happens to you, you go to write it down, and either you over dramatize it, or underplay it, exaggerate the wrong parts or ignore the important ones. At any rate, you never write it quite the way you want to.”

-Sylvia Plath

If you have the time, and even if you don’t: allow yourself to take advantage of your time in the minor. It won’t be easy; it will suck up more time than you initially expected.

Writing is hard, but it’s worth it.

Anybody that says the contrary is a dirty rotten liar.

One thought to “Last blog post…for a while?”

1. These are some great points. The MiW has really helped me grow as a writer and I appreciate the opportunities that this program. I really like the quote that you used, “Some things are hard to write about. After something happens to you, you go to write it down, and either you over dramatize it, or underplay it, exaggerate the wrong parts or ignore the important ones. At any rate, you never write it quite the way you want to” by Sylvia Plath.
    Thank you for the insight!