#Pivot Reflection

Project Reflection: I really enjoyed the project component of the capstone course.  Throughout January and February I was really struggling to come up with a project that I was truly passionate about.  I had a few ill-conceived perceptions of the type of product that the Minor faculty would expect me to produce, however there was a clear disconnect between that product and my own preferences.  I was trying to incorporate methodologies and formats acceptable in my academic discipline of History with my interests outside the academic realm and things weren’t adding up.  Meanwhile, outside of my course work a friend and I were working on a new pet project of writing a TV comedy series.

I couldn’t have dreamed of using my NSFW written content for a school project, however clearly the Capstone project is very different from most projects.  We were tasked with both creating something interesting and worth reading, as well as finding a way to best present that material in an aesthetic manner.  Because of this duality, I approached the capstone project differently than I would other works.  I decided to make my TV show writing the cornerstone of my project.  As a supplement, I would include various supporting documents that would help the reader fully understand the scope and degree of effort placed into writing a script.

This project tied together work in which my skills developed throughout a variety of disciplines during the Minor.  During the gateway and capstone course, students were encouraged to engage with writing in new ways, think about written conventions and media in an adaptive way.  Throughout my history courses, writing has been a crucial component in conveying a narrative for analysis; in my writing and english courses writing has been a tool for expressing consciousness, sentiment and emotion.  For me, the capstone project brought this all together with the development of my portfolio.  Engaging both perspectives in which I’m creating something I’m truly passionate about and conveying it in my own unique way and also considering the preferences and desires of a neutral audience.

Capstone Reflection: I really loved both the gateway and capstone courses with Ray.  He really got me to think differently about writing and reading (so cliche, I know).  Throughout college when I’ve been encouraged to explore writing not merely as a tool of communication and academic reporting, but also as a creative outlet.  In the capstone course, we spent a lot of time doing peer review and group workshops of eachothers work.  Due to the diverse constituency of the Minor program, this enabled me to think about presenting my work to a wide reaching audience.  I was catering my work and considering perspectives ranging from hard science, premed students, to business school elite future CEOs, to creative English majors.

Beyond peer work, a major emphasis of the course was the writer’s evolution.  We focused a lot on reflecting on our growth both in terms of written aptitude as well as a people. This sometimes demonstrated the effect of life changes on writing (perhaps manifesting as changing disciplines and subsequently changing the accepted form of writing).  For me, as I’ve stated throughout, writing has become a much safer and accessible creative outlet.  I feel comfortable exploring creative ideas through the written word.  Moreover, due to the reflective nature of the assignment, I was able to notice some of my own personal written preferences.  I noticed how defective I am when tasked with menial assignments merely to keep me busy.  But when I’m pushed to engage with something with something that I enjoy and motivated to complete something for myself and not just a grade, I can fully enjoy writing.

Writing Ambitions: So I think I’m actually going to try to make this television show an actual thing.  Over the last few years, even though I’m a year younger than most of you guys, I’ve been really struggling to figure out what exactly I’m doing at school and what kind of career and life I’ll live after graduation; and I haven’t really got a clue.  On one hand, I could see myself falling easily into a 9-5 grind at some corporate job slowly climbing the ranks over the years.  I think I could do well and would feel fulfilled, however I’m not entirely sure how motivated I am to jump into that type of life.  On the other hand, doing something purely creative that I would definitely enjoy more, both in terms of lifestyle as well as the actual work I’d be doing, however this comes at the expense of stable financial situation.  I’m not entirely set on either, and maybe there is a way to make the most of both tracks.

That being said, I’ve finally found something (this TV show) that I really enjoy doing.  I haven’t felt excited about doing something like this years.  As my girlfriend would describe, I look “like an excited lil pup.” My co-creator and I both have a unified vision of what we would want this show to be about and what direction we are headed in.  With this shared vision, maybe we can one day make this show onto a network or something.  Over the summer, my co-creator and I plan on writing out more of the show and working on making this dream a reality.

Other than writing “Dick Schindler,” over spring term I’ll be attending NELP (New England Literature Program).  Over the course of six weeks, attendees live without technology in New Hampshire, studying american literature that was produced in the New England region and exploring the area on various hikes.  Aside from the vast amount of reading involved, a core component of the program is journaling.  Although the journal ultimately is a component of my grades, it serves the purpose of documenting all that I learn and experience throughout the trip.  Without readily available communication with my friends and family, I’ll need to rely on myself to resolve conflict and face myself through the journal.