Project Make-over #mixer

*advice, please!*

I’m speaking to those who are making/have made personal blogs about a particular experience, trip, or phase.   My blog posts sound like diary entries. My concern is, how to speak to an audience beyond myself.  I changed their statuses to “unpublished”.  They seem lame, stagnant, and unrepresentative of my experiences.   My original capstone project plan was to make a blog about the making of a double bass recital.  I’ve hit a wall. Is there reader appeal to reading someone’s diary about making music?  Paul does not want me to scrap the whole thing but…oy

///

My own solution has been to try and create something in a different medium. I remembered Ray advising me to generate questions.  I remembered a Q&A with myself becoming the foundation of my Gateway project.  I decided to make a zine (self-published, hand-crafted, magazine; a medium likened by 90’s female punks), centered around the question, “Why do I music?”. Yes, it is a reference to George Orwell’s “Why I Write”, but I think it works.  Here’s the cover page.

zine cover

Zoe Kumagai

Before coming to Ann Arbor the only home I habited was in small foothill town at the crest of Los Angeles. I was raised on white rice, basketball, and Shin Buddhism. My side kick is a six-foot tall, German double bass. I major in Music Performance. I am a peer tutor for the Sweetland Center for Writing and mentors in the Ypsilanti Youth Orchestra and the Dearborn Youth Symphony. If I found a genie in a bottle I would wish for lactose-tolerance, an afternoon rollerblading with John Cage and a nose-warmer.

2 thoughts to “Project Make-over #mixer”

1. Zoe, this is awesome! I’d love to see it. Zines are great for capturing a personal, authentic voice and it gives you room to incorporate visuals and different forms of writing. This seems like the perfect medium for your project.

Also, google Christopher Small and “musicking.”

Actually: http://www.posgrado.unam.mx/musica/lecturas/interpretacion/complementarias/perspectivaFenomenologica/Musicking_Small.pdf

“Music is not a thing at all but an activity, something that people do.”
    “To music is to take part, in any capacity, in a musical performance, whether by performing, by listening, by rehearsing or practicing, by providing material for performance (what is called composing), or by dancing.”

2. Hi Neeyati!

Thanks for responding.

I read this article freshman year! The idea stuck with me. It has taken me a while to get used to this expansive approach. Yet it came in handy this year when I was trying to reconcile music with writing. I uploaded my zine to my e-portfolio this morning! http://zoeplaysbass.com/musician.html