To future minoring writers

To future minoring writers,

Don’t be worried. You made the right choice.

You were looking for a way to further your interest in writing (professional or otherwise), to improve your skills, and to work on becoming the writer you knew (or perhaps didn’t know) you could be.

You applied to the Minor in Writing, and being the smart cookie that you are, you got in. Now, as you sit back examining your well-tailored schedule complete with a bi-weekly box labeled WRITING 220, you might be wondering what you’ve gotten yourself into. You might be worrying about arriving to class in the fall of next year only to find that you are the one plain tuna in a sea of gleaming Dickinsons and Hemingways, but let me tell you this:

You made the right choice.

You wrote a killer application that dazzled [whoever reads those] with your eloquent rhetoric and tasteful use of literary devices. You were chosen out of an ocean of plain tunas, sunfish, and minnows becaus you are a better writer than you think you are. I think I’ve exhausted my fish metaphor but the point remains the same.

You, my friend, are not a plain tuna. And you’re going to look damn good in that Minor in Writing T-shirt.

One thought to “To future minoring writers”

1. Miriam,

You alluded to so much of what I’m feeling now as a new member of the minor in writing community! I’ve already been impressed by the ideas of my Writing 220 peers. I totally feel like a plain tuna amidst some super fancy fish.

However, I am reassured by your optimism and enthusiasm! If I am able to write nearly as creatively and concisely as you did above by the end of my time in Writing 220, I will be proud of myself!

Thanks for your words of encouragement!