Here is some of my advice to the new Minor in Writing students. This is what I would’ve liked to know before diving in.
- Have an idea of a passion of yours that you would like to turn into a project. This will save you a lot of time and confusion. If you have a genuine interest in something, turn it into a project and have fun! Have a clear vision.
- Keep working on the micro assignments throughout the semester. Keep up with your peer reviews, process reflections, blogging, and commenting. This will save you a lot of time and heartache at the end of the semester.
- Don’t come in with a lot of expectations. Enjoy the ride. Learn and grow. Bring in your passions and execute them to the best of your ability. It’s all about the process and the journey.
- Take at least one class with Ray. I was fortunate to have him for Gateway and Capstone. He is an amazing teacher and he will challenge you every class period to think beyond our normalized way of thinking. You will look forward to his icebreakers at the beginning of every class period.
- Have fun. You got accepted into the writing program for a reason. Enjoy the experience and have fun creating.
My advice to you.