Words of Advice to Future Writing Minors

heart-paper-clip

When it comes to your projects, choose a piece you love. You’ll be spending a lot of time with it.

Don’t pick the paper that you got the best grade on, in fact, pick one you didn’t do so great on. Use this as a chance to improve it — to show that you have the skills as a writer to turn it into something amazing. But most importantly, make sure it means something to you. You’ll spend the whole semester thinking about it, writing about it, transforming it. If you take something personal to you and expand it into your repurposing and remediating projects — you’ll love the outcome. You’ll enjoy the class this way, instead of dreading every assignment. You’ll want to share it with the class, because it means something to you. You chose this minor because you love to write, so don’t let a boring topic ruin that for you. Be excited to participate every day.

Oh, and bring in food to share with your class. Everyone loves food.

4 thoughts to “Words of Advice to Future Writing Minors”

1. Alyssa,

Thank you for this really great advice. I feel like there are moments when I forget that I’m in this minor because I love to write. I get so caught up in the assignment and homework aspect of writing sometimes that I stop paying attention to what I really love about it. When I pick what papers to complete projects on throughout the class, I will definitely do it based on the topics that interest me.

2. Alyssa,

Thanks for this advice. Right when Naomi said we could pick a piece of writing, I immediately thought of a paper I wrote last year and got an A on. However, it’s a very boring paper that doesn’t show my capabilities as a writer. Instead, I think I’ll choose a Michigan Daily article I wrote that could use some spicing up. So thank you for this advice, and I will certainly pick a piece that interests me.

3. Alyssa,

Your advice struck me as really helpful. A lot of us are so engrained to constantly want the best grade that we may give up the riskier writing option to play it safe and get the “A”. But, who’s to say that the out-of-the-box writing option isn’t “A” worthy? I plan on taking your advice throughout the semester and making sure that I’m truly interested in what I write about. After all, our best work oftentimes shines through in these instances.

4. Hi Alyssa

Thank you for your advice. I originally had the same idea as Jason when it came to choosing a piece of writing; I wanted to choose something polished even though all my polished pieces are research papers that aren’t very exciting. Instead I might pick a piece of creative writing from high school and see how I can elevate the sophistication of language while also having fun and enjoying the process. I’ve definitely done projects before where I hated my topic and consequently struggled with each assignment in a similar manner to what you mentioned. I am excited to pick a piece of writing I’m passionate about and see where this project takes me!