You Do You (…Seriously)

To the Minor in Writing newbies,

I can honestly say that I am excited for you to take the MIW introductory course, and I don’t get excited about class often. Writing 220 is a class unlike something I have taken at UofM. The “assignments” don’t feel like work at all; they are all  unique and give us the freedom to make them our own. What I enjoy most is that I am able to write about what I want to write about. The projects allow us to look into ourselves and express ourselves as individuals, so the final result is like an extension of ourself. We can write how we want, make our voice heard, do what we think is “right” (because there is no right or wrong).

My advice to you, young writers, is do you. Honestly. You do you. The Writing 220 is one of the few classes that has allowed me to put my own voice in my writing and put my own unique spin on a project. Take advantage of that. So many professors require you to write a certain way and follow strict guidelines. The MIW gives you freedom; use it to say what you want to say, however you want to say it. You do you. And if you don’t know what that means yet, you’ll figure it out, because the Minor in Writing will help you find yourself in your writing.

Get to know your classmates. If you’re lucky like me, you’ll be sitting next to kids who are just as funny, smart, and enjoyable to be around as your professor. Which leads me to my next point: get to know your professor. The leaders of the MIW know what they’re doing, and they’re great sources for you to go to for writing advice or a good laugh. And most importantly, they’ll help you find your voice, so that you can continue to do you.

Good luck!

“Imma do me.” -Young Jeezy

2 thoughts to “You Do You (…Seriously)”

1. It sounds so simple, but I think just doing things the way you want to do them is one of the hardest things in writing. I think as a new student in the minor, I tend to look for cues from other people on the blog and in class to see “how I am supposed to write”. And it’s really nice to be reassured that this minor is for me to work on writing in the way that I want to. So thank you!

2. Lauren,

Thank you for your wonderful advice! I already feel so much more creative freedom in my Writing 220 assignments than I ever do in my research papers for my Comm major (yawn). I never thought of sitting next to different people in class and getting to know them as especially beneficial, but coming from someone like you, who has been there/done that before, that is definitely something I’ll consider doing! (Especially because the Writing 220 crew is diverse in terms of major, background, aspiration, and writing style). Good luck as you progress through the minor, and thank you again for your wise words!