Decisions, Decisions

As T began explaining our next project, my mind began to wander. I have written endless amounts of papers and essays throughout my life, but what was I going to use for Project 2? Something that T said stood out in my mind, “Pick a piece about something you are passionate about and that you will be happy working with for the rest of the semester.” In my head I went through the list of papers I have written during my time at Michigan. Although I have liked a lot of pieces I have written and done well on them, nothing stuck out. It was then when I remembered the ice- breaker game we played on the first day of class. Someone had asked me what my favorite piece of writing I had ever wrote was, and I had responded: my college common application essay. I knew that I had to use it for Project 2.

I wrote my common application essay about how Rory Gilmore, the main character in the TV Show Gilmore Girls, has influenced my life, both personally and academically. I had not read the essay since the end of senior year, but it has always held a special spot in my heart. When I went back and re-read my essay, my decision about using it for Project 2 was reinforced.

In my essay I write about how I have grown up watching Gilmore Girls. Throughout my adolescences I connected to Rory, and she influenced me in many ways. I think that in my re-purposing and then re-mediatiation it will be interesting to explore all of the ways Rory has influenced me as well as focusing on how fictional characters have influenced other individuals. If I focused on Rory’s influence on me, I think I would create a BuzzFeed article about reasons why you should look up to Rory Gilmore. I was also thinking that I could ask students if they have ever been influenced by a fictional character and create something from all of their answers. I’m not quite sure the direction I want to take, but I do know that I want to use my Rory Gilmore essay!

gilmore-girls

The iconic mother daughter pair: Rory and Lorelai Gilmore

One thought to “Decisions, Decisions”

1. After hearing you speak in class and then reading this post and your writer’s bio, I think it is safe to say that you are the biggest Gilmore Girls fan I have ever met. I may not know too many fans of the show, but I am sure you’d be number one. I think it’s a special thing when you are able to make such a connection with a character from a TV show, or a book, or a movie (or series of movies), or whatever they might be from. I don’t know that I’ve ever made as strong a connection with any character as you have with Rory Gilmore. It has clearly been a positive thing for you, and I love to see that. It’s another one of those examples of the power of writing, because someone imagined that character, brought her to life through a script, and put her out there in the hopes that the actress playing her might have just such an effect on viewers that you have experienced. I’m positive that your interest and passion in the topic you have chosen for Project 2 will make it something spectacular.