Making Another Writer’s Decisions

After talking through my interests and project ideas with Erin, it was a lot easier to think through the various possibilities for genre and medium of the project. Not only did her suggestions help me out, but having to come up with project ideas for her helped me to think of more interesting ideas for myself. The list of ideas we came up with together were as follows:

• A magazine targeted at a female gamer audience containing various topics (game reviews, game news, upcoming releases, controversies)
  • A website or blog from the perspective of a female gamer, talking about the gaming community and various experiences
  • An actual game concept treatment that works against the current representations of women in gaming

My first impressions of these suggestions is that the magazine sounds like an awesome project idea – it would be possible to combine a large variety of topics throughout something like an online magazine. This definitely combines my interests in studying feminism and gender representation in video games, and it allows me to translate this interest into a new media format. I would be most interested in pursuing making a short online magazine and perhaps even accompanying it with something like a Twitter account to get people aware that it’s something that is being created.

All of these topics would definitely be interesting and relevant to me, but as I’ve actually written a game concept design before I know how much work goes into them. For this reason I think it would be a little too much for me, especially to come up not only with game mechanics but the world, the characters, and the narrative as well. And to do it all in a way that throws out stereotypes respectfully while retaining good character relationships and story? I’m not sure I manage that in one semester. It’s a great idea, just a little bit too difficult for me.

I definitely had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted to do topic-wise; some of my favorite writing projects in college so far have focused on gaming and representation. I also talked about being interested in using new media for my project, so the fact that Erin suggested blogs or websites totally fit with my interests as well. It was really interesting to talk to her because she much prefers scientific writing rather than doing any kind of new media writing, and she prefers freedom in writing while I need to have some kind of rubric or structure to follow. Because of this I will be more likely to look for advice both from those that enjoy writing in a similar manner that I do and those that prefer a different style, as they will be more likely to think differently and have ideas I wouldn’t think of.

While I kind of already had an idea about what I wanted to do for the project, talking it through with Erin helped in terms of deciding what topics were most interesting to me and even thinking about other awesome project ideas like creating my own concept for a game. We talked about how I could pretty much talk about gaming gender representation in any genre or media I would like, and that a magazine or a blog would be the most fun for me.

Sarah Rybak

I'm a junior Comm major with special interests in gender, gaming, and new media in terms of how people interact through it with each other.