Making Another Writer’s Decisions

I think this activity was pretty difficult for me, but out of that difficulty actually came an idea. At first, I gave my partner a suggestion of doing a reflection project on seniors in college. I proposed doing some sort of interview with current seniors, some who have their job offer letters signed or grad school plans made and others who are stressed with applications or without a future path. We brainstormed about expanding the project to non-seniors, like business owners and professors and having it be reflective about what you think the future could be like for you and having some people say how accurate what they thought then was now.

The idea was good, but my partner pushed me to think further. Anyone could do this project- what made it unique to me? Naturally, that question is scary. Of course I have interests, I like sports and traveling and anything color-coded, but no major passions at the moment. I think my difficulty in answering her questions of what do I like and what do I care about helped come to a topic idea for my project. I told her that if someone asked me what my greatest strength was and I could answer honestly, I would say being average. I have no “major” flaws in which I am terrible at something, but I also have no thing I am the best or perfect at. I can do almost anything with pretty middle of the road results, so we brainstormed ideas such as a resume within a paper or unique examples and really using witt and humor were really interesting and helpful. I think having such a hard time explaining myself to my partner helped her better come up with suggestions when I mentioned the average comment, who knew!

I think that this is a good idea to do and write about, but also feel nervous that the topic wouldn’t let me live up to my potential both as a writer and in general, so I am working on other ideas as well to explore.

Jessica Golden

My name is Jessica Golden and I am an East Coast girl currently stuck in the snowy Midwest at the University of Michigan. I am now a student at Michigan due to tearing my ACL the week before my soccer recruitment and picking a college at whim, but so far it has worked out. I have two older sisters who live in New York City just like I plan too. Living on Long Island for my whole life has been like a bubble, and with no broken bones, no pets and no walks down a red carpet, I definitely feel ready to be a sponge, soak up life and do whatever comes along. Although I have never experienced typical things, like learning to ride a bike or attend sleep away camp, I enjoy finding the weird things in my life and embracing it all. I have lived in a hotel for 7 months (which is nothing like TV makes it seem), am on a quest to spend a day in all 50 states (current count is 26) and managed to sprain my ankle while climbing the Vatican in Rome. While my world is slowly expanding in Ann Arbor, my eyes are still set on returning to the big apple one day and changing the world (for the better) one lawsuit or public policy at a time!

One thought to “Making Another Writer’s Decisions”

1. Jessica, you’re short siding yourself! I think most people are just “average” at things…until they choose an area of interest or a passion and really throw themselves into it. It sounds like you are if anything in a good position…you are young and have lots of strengths…lots of potential…and some figuring out to do! But who doesn’t at our age. Ok, so what if you take that idea and instead explore “how to: develop a passion.” Is there something that you are dying to do/learn? This project is an opportunity to do it. We’d have to talk this out more in person, but let’s say you play the guitar. You are only ‘average’ at the guitar. Well, what would it take it become great? Write about this process. Experience the process. Learn one of the hardest songs to play on the guitar. You get the point. You can take this project and turn it into a learning process about yourself. My example might be a little bland, but hopefully you get the point 🙂