“Published Blogs”

I am not too familiar with published blogs. However, when I was thinking about the things i enjoy reading/viewing on the internet, I came across a sort of blog of it. TED talks are awesome. The wide variety of ideas that these cover to the speakers to the different lengths of these talks amaze me. How inspirational and mind blowing these talks are. Therefore, when I was trying to think of published blogs I was searching for things that would interest me and interest the class. The TedBlogs are written by different authors about the Ted Talks. Some elaborate more on the topic, others publish their own thoughts. I am not too sure if this counts as a published blow because it is by different blogs posted on one site, but it sure fascinates me. This is meaningful because it allows viewers to continue to be inspired (in other ways) about the topic that the Ted talker talked about.

I’m going to give it a shot to break down the TedBlogs in rhetorical situations: These TedBlogs are definitely for a more sophisticated audience. I would label this as a sophisticated group because most Tedtalks are very intellectual. Those who seek these talks want to gain knowledge or be inspired on the topic. Therefore, those who would go the extra step to read the blogs to understand the talks, takes some dedicated and sophisticated group of people. As far as the exigence or the occasion of writing, plays into all three of the topics because there is a sense of getting the knowledge out to the audience through the way that is written by the composer about their specific topic. I do think that the occasion of writing is affected by the need to get a topic informed. I have many favorite Tedtalks, however, the link below is one of the first Tedtalks that I viewed and was just astonished by this.  TedBlogs do a good job of promoting each speaker and breaking it down for the viewers.

http://www.ted.com/playlists/129/ted_under_20 (View this.. you could not tell me that its like holy crap how does this 16 year old think of this ….?!)

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 1.08.20 AM

Emily Sejna

I LOVE pizza, Michigan, and cold weather.

3 thoughts to ““Published Blogs””

1. I actually think you made a great choice on this post. I never know there is a Tedblog outside of Tedtalks. I would definitely follow it as I am also a Tedtalk fan (I don’t know if it’s true, but there is a research online said that if a person keeps watching Tedtalks everyday in spare time, he or she will gradually become creative and intelligent). I think you explained the rhetorical situation very well, especially the part about audiences. I agree that it takes further action to follow Tedblog after watching Tedtalks, but most people won’t make that efforts. Therefore, those people who did should be very dedicate about ideas and development. The exigence is definitely to spread out the latest ideas and creations to the public, and I think Tedblogs, compared with a lot of other blogs, have a much clearer exigence. Thanks for sharing, I should start now to get further informed by this Tedblog.

2. I am so glad you posted this; I love TED Talks and as Enni said I had no idea there was a blog component to them as well. I like your point about the blog posts letting “viewers to continue to be inspired (in other ways) about the topic that the Ted talker talked about.” Since blogging is a different genre from video, the message conveyed through text is bound to be slightly different than whatever was conveyed in the original talk. I agree that most of the TED audience consists of a more “sophisticated” group of people. The audience doesn’t always consists of experts that have a thorough knowledge of the given subject, but it does consist of people who are curious to learn about these complex topics, which usually means they have some academic background. I’ll have to watch the TED talk you posted!

3. As a huge Ted Talks fan, I actually had no idea that TedBlogs existed. From your description, it seems like TedBlogs provide a great opportunity to dive deeper into TedTalks to analyze the data presented. One advantage of a blog is the ability to link readers to evidence, so I agree with your assessment that readers of these blogs are probably more “intellectual” (in the sense that readers are exposed to more formal argumentation vs. listeners). I think the TedTalks provide a great primer on certain topics, and TedBlogs would allow you to look more closely for potential flaws in argumentation. It’s easy to cite misleading evidence in a TedTalk and briefly mention its source, but I imagine this would be harder in a TedBlog in which people can quickly google this evidence in another tab. Overall, this was a great blog post and I’ll definitely be checking out some TedBlogs on my favorite TedTalk speakers.