Rock On!

For me, the decision of selecting a written piece for my project was relatively easy. After thinking it through, I’ve decided to use a “history of rock n’ roll” tumblr project I did last semester in an American Culture Class. However, when first thinking about what to choose I had three main categories in mind: standard academic essays, personal essays such as narratives and college application papers, and creative argumentation projects such as the one I have ultimately selected. After brief consideration, I quickly ruled out my standard academic essays. Although the articles or books they are about may be interesting, I found nothing I am super passionate about and would want to work with for the rest of the semester. Next, I read through all of my personal essays. Although I have a strong connection with these papers, I have been writing many personal narratives recently such as the Why I Write project in this class and another paper in my English 325 Class. A little worn out on writing about myself, I stumbled upon my rock and roll project and was immediately sold. I am very passionate about music and I’m convinced I can think of creative ways to re-purpose this project and present it and new and informative ways.

2 thoughts to “Rock On!”

1. Will, I like the piece you chose to write about for project 1 and, after reading your bio, I know it is a subject that you are truly passionate about. I’m left with a few questions though: what is it about this option that interests you most and where do you think you’ll be able to take it? Will you make it personal in any way or try to avoid that?

Again, I know this is a topic you are deeply interested in and I am excited to see what you are able to make of it. In your next post, I’d include a link to the Tumblr project so that the reader can see your new direction with the piece.

Best of luck.

2. I remember you talking about this idea in class and agree with you that it would be a good starting point from your project. I like how you thought outside the box to find a piece of writing that you could take in a lot of different ways. It’s clear you were very thorough in choosing the piece of writing to use, and now I think you could hone in on it further. Some ideas: maybe you write a more structured research paper on the history of rock? Or you use what you started with to create a series of pictures as a more visual approach, maybe like a scrapbook? I think you have a lot of choices, and you could truly do anything you like!