Style & Others

Writing style is one of the phrases that were taught when I first encountered writing and reading. When writers were asked to present the same information or tell the same story, different writers will have distinct ways to explain the simplest idea without giving any opinions. This distinction creates writers’ unique style which is usually consistent throughout their writing career. Although I have studied basic writing style, style masquerade that we have done in class still turned out interesting to me in the sense that writers can be actually recognized through their writing style, and no matter how time changes and theme of writing changes, style stays the same in most of the cases, and that is what attracts readers to go back to the same writer again and again.

In this way, style is like a tattoo that represents the writer, and it is difficult to remove once it was adopted. However, as for beginners of writing, we try to imitate famous writers’ style to get on the right track and to gradually develop our own style. Imitating is a quick way for me to start, but I still believe that only those who have dedicated style could keep readers from losing interest.

Preference of reading will also likely to influence the style. Should we take examples from the influential gallery, we could observe a variety of reading such as books, poems, magazines, and new media writing. Readings that we have done in the growing process as writers more or less impact on what we write today. Style, for me, is the control of language, or how we play around with words and sentences. We choose certain words or use specific sentence structure to build upon the style. Word choices and syntax of writing seems easy and fast to learn from imitating other writers, but the soul of writing is always obtained in the development of our own writing style because that is where our thoughts flow out naturally. It can also be translated into my reason of writing. I write to find my style, to develop on it, and to be a better writer.

Enni Zhao

If, for the sake of amour and cuisine, I must pay, I would then give my life away.

2 thoughts to “Style & Others”

1. I found your comments on different writers’ styles very interesting! It’s true that if you give different people the same exact topic to write about they will give you a wide variety of responses. I also agree that we admire certain famous writers because they have a distinct style in most of their writing. However, if we were to look at Shakespeare’s earliest piece of writing would we still recognize it as Shakespeare? To what extent do writers’ styles evolve over the years versus stay the same? In addition, what if Shakespeare had written academic papers in addition to plays? Would we still recognize his voice in this context or is writing style linked closely with writing genre?

I also like what you said about influence of what we read on our style. In my high school English classes I would always find myself writing in the style of whichever book we had just read. While finding one’s own voice is important, reading is crucial in order to become a good writer because it enables us to write by example rather than simply follow a rubric. I love your description of style at the end; figuring out why you write can definitely impact your writing style.

2. Enni,

I love your comparison between style and a tattoo. And I agree with you for the most part. However, I also agree with Annie that style evolves across genres and contexts. For the style masquerade, I read a poem by Gertrude Stein and Sophie read one of her novels. None of the style elements that we listed were the same. I think a writer can adapt their style both unconsciously across time and consciously across genres.

I also like the point you brought up about novice writers imitating style as a starting point to developing their own styles. I think a lot of us can feel lost in our own writing. Imitation is one of the easiest ways for us to gain some footing into a style. Eventually, however, we must grow out of that imitation and into our own distinct style.