Tour de Zing: Our quest to find the ultimate Zingermans sandwich

When it comes to my hobbies, two things come to mind: food and sports. I mostly use newspapers and other non-blog websites for sports news, but for food, blogs are the way to do it. In my time reading food blogs, one blog has always stood above the rest: Tour de Zing. Though the blog is no longer in existence, it was a fantastic blog that had virtually no flaws. It was easy to navigate, had a nice look and the content was great.

Here is a look at the front page:

Zingerman's photo
Look at how ascetically pleasing the background of this blog is!

It’s a nice homepage that’s very user friendly. I particularly loved this blog because I am a Zingerman’s junkie myself. I love nothing more than a deli sandwich and delicious sides. However, this blog appeals to all ethos, pathos and logos. The blogs interface is very logical. The blog has an appeal to ethos because throughout the blog the authors never make it seem like they are food blogs. Rather, if they didn’t like something because of personal taste blogs, they’d write that. It’s also clear that these authors are invested in the blog with their constant posts and emotional love for deli food.

The one gripe I have with this blog is that it doesn’t have individual links to each sandwich they’ve tried, but instead it makes you scroll through every post. However, I never had a problem scrolling through because it’s addicting.

So next time you go to Zingerman’s, be sure to read this blog before hand!

Jason Rubinstein

A half-Argentinean sports writer for The Michigan Daily. Previous intern at the New York Daily News. Siracha sauce enthusiast. Avid Chicago Sports fan. Once turned down a bid from AEPi.

4 thoughts to “Tour de Zing: Our quest to find the ultimate Zingermans sandwich”

1. Jason,

As an avid Zingermans fan myself (I actually took my visitor their earlier this morning), I loved reading your post. I’m honestly really sad they don’t do this any more and I think we should go and tell them to start it up again. From the picture you posted, I can definitely tell the blog was aesthetically pleasing; they used bright colors and pop-out words to attract viewers. From a rhetoric vocabulary viewpoint, do you think this blog appealed to all audiences? Or just Ann Arbor residents who love food?

2. I don’t know if there’s anybody in the world (or could be for that matter) who doesn’t like Zingermans. Give me a classic rueben with a side of russian and you might just make me the happiest man alive. Ever had the latke fries by the way? If you haven’t make sure to give them a try. I still don’t know what they put in that sauce, but I swear it’s served in heaven. Anyway, all this food talk is getting me hungry so I’ll talk about the blog before I go on a food bender. Like Emily said, it’s very pleasing right off the eye – the picture of Zingermans in the background is bright, lively, and unique. I agree with what you said about having specific links to reviews of sandwiches, but that “ten commandments” thing looks pretty cool and interesting. I really can’t get those latke fries out of my mind. Dammit.

3. Jason –
    I am a member of the other cohort, but I was drawn to your post because of its title and your writer’s bio. I love Zingerman’s and I am an avid Chicago sports fan myself. My only disappointment is the fact that I did not know about this blog until now. I must thank you for bringing it to our attention and I will be referring to this blog before I make my next trip to Zingerman’s. I look forward to reading more of your posts and immersing myself in this quest to find the best sandwich.

4. Jason – As an avid Zingerman’s fan, I must say I was pleased to stumble upon your post about this Zingerman’s blog. Though I hesitate to waver from my tried-and-true order, the Jenny’s Fix #22, I really enjoyed looking around the link you shared. Even though it has not published in a while, it’s pretty cool that you still found it. Thanks for sharing.