Video Journalism

This past summer I worked with Channel 4 in Detroit. I often got many inquiries about the city of Detroit and it’s character. One of my most eye-opening and incredible experiences was shadowing video journalist Alex Atwell. His video pieces display Detroit in a positive light by displaying the innovative and unique ideas, places and activities in the city. The people he interviews and places he exposes his readers to make a strong, poignant argument about Detroit. He shows that Detroit is a city not of crime and danger, but one full of promise and unique opportunities.

This video specifically is about BMX bikers that also give back to the community. IT’s a wonderfully shot piece that displays Atwell’s skill as a videographer but even more so gives the viewer a unique look on Detroit and these bikers they would have rarely gotten before. Through interviews and the use of a go-pro and camcorder from Channel 4 Atwell takes us into their world.

Another unique aspect of his work is his online and digital emphasis. While his pieces go on air, they often find a lot of attention online as well. This again shows the power of a digital rhetoric and how it can shape the audiences view of something as grand as an entire city. His pieces are designed to be visually compelling and stay true to the forms of journalism traditionally used so when the audience views his pieces there is definitely an air of authenticity and skillful craft. I think this definitely adds to his credibility and makes for a strong argument about Detroit. While many aggressive approach the problem of Detroit, Atwell’s artful pieces showcase concrete examples that show the positivity in the city.

Anisha Nandi

I am a Communications and SAC double major pursuing a career in broadcast journalism. I am originally form New York but love being at U of M. I enjoy playing soccer, spending time with my family and being outdoors. I have always loved writing, especially creatively.

2 thoughts to “Video Journalism”

1. Anisha,

You’re post certainly highlights why video journalism is such a growing sector.

Two days ago, we talked about how there isn’t enough intersectionality at the Daily and you were particularly concerned with the idea of ‘Video’ not being prioritized enough. Your post certainly highlights how videos can add to articles and add complementary rhetoric.

Pictures/videos can speak 1000 words. And I really think we should make a push to add video to other sections, especially sports!

2. Anisha,

This sounds like such a cool experience; I’d love to hear more about it in class! I want to focus on your last paragraph in particular. I’ve never really thought about the fact that digital rhetoric (specifically videos) allows us to capture and learn about huge spaces and time periods. While I could read a biography of a person living in the 1920s, I probably wouldn’t; it takes too long and I would want to actually see what people saw when they lived through the period. Instead, I could watch a documentary and get to experience a more real version of the time.