A Little Bit about My Capstone Project

So I’m way late on posting this, but senior year is definitely winning the battle we’re currently having. My project for the capstone course is essentially a short magazine, similar to the length of The Gargoyle on campus, with 20 pages of content. I initially began with the idea of featuring a lot about the Humane Society of Huron Valley, the animal shelter in Ann Arbor, but after talking it over with T and Shelley, I decided to go with something that is a little more universal and that the Humane Society could still use.

The stories I’m featuring include coverage on busting myths of shelter animals: are black cats really bad luck, why do pit bulls have their bad reputation, and what does declawing really do to an animal. I’m also going to give a few staff profiles to make this exclusive to HSHV, along with an adoption story of a cat and a dog from the shelter. There are a few other things, but I don’t want to completely give away my project! 🙂

Look at all that cuteness.
Look at all that cuteness.

I’m hoping with this project to raise awareness in the community for HSHV, as well as to educate the community on issues that I know a lot of people talk about and believe misleading rumors. I’m extremely passionate about animal welfare and the quality of life of animals in the shelter, so I’m excited to be able to put my passion into my work (I’m the one with the Wags to Riches blog, in case you still haven’t checked it out 🙂 )

As for progress, I’ve gotten my volunteer interviews done, and I’ll be doing the staff profiles in the next few weeks. Design is still in progress, but it’s getting there. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed by senior year in general but it’s really nice to be able to work on a project that I actually care about; it motivates me to get the rest of my work done so I know I have enough time to spend with this project.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for my project! I can’t wait to see the final outcomes of everyone’s hard work in the capstone course.

Kaitlin Schuler

Hey all! I'm a 20 year old female from the southern suburbs of Chicago. I've been in love with books since I was a babe in swaddling clothes, and that has been the one constant relationship in my life. I also love hot chocolate, hockey, hot dogs, and hoe-downs. Well...maybe not the last one. Though I've never been, so that could change! Keep up with my posts and learn more about this hockey-loving, hot chocolate-drinking girl.

2 thoughts to “A Little Bit about My Capstone Project”

1. Kaitlin, I never read about the details of your project before!!! Sounds like you have a nice start. I love the idea — and I’m sure you will do a great job with it since it resonates strongly with you. How do you plan on creating the magazine? Are you a design person? Would love to hear more details! Good luck.

2. Hi Kaitlin,

This sounds really interesting! How do you think the Humane Society of Huron Valley will use your magazine? Are they planning on printing it and having it at the shelter or will they distribute it to an email listerv?

Also, what kind of interviews are you conducting? One cool idea could be interviewing people who chose to adopt from the shelter and love their pet. What do you think you’ll use for your cover story? How are you incorporating pictures?

Sorry for the excess of questions, this just sounds like a great project to me and I can’t wait to read the magazine when you’re done! Maybe consider posting the final project on the blog – I love reading about cute little kittens and puppies 🙂