A Trip Down Memory Lane: Would You Change It?

I happened to be looking at my MiW Gateway portfolio the other night (ya know, to brush up…get some ideas for my Capstone portfolio) when I stumbled upon my old blog posts. Particularly, I clicked on a link to my first ever Gateway blog post, where we were all required to introduce ourselves. Man, is it great reading back a post I wrote about two years. I know two years doesn’t seem like a lot, but it sure feels that way. So much has changed within the last couple of months: my family, my friends, my experiences, my perspectives. But what’s crazy is that no matter the changes, my voice has remained the same. In my writing, that is.

So, as I read back on my first Gateway blog post, I giggle to myself and recall typing it up that first time. I think to myself, “If I had to write a personal introduction today, how would I approach it?” And truthfully, I would write it no differently. No matter how much I have grown as a person through out my college career, I still keep my little quirks, knacks, and passions. So, I wanted to ask you, my fellow Capstone buddies, would you write yourself a new introduction if you had the chance? Or would you keep it just the way it is?

So, here it is…my first ever Gateway Post:

No, No…I-Am-Not-12-Years-Old-Niki-Berman

HI! I’m Niki. Yes, with one K – so fancy, I know. I sware I’m 20 years old! Everyone seems to peg me at 12. I may be 4’11 and 3 quarters (YOU CANNOT TELL ANYONE THOUGH…the rest of the world believes I’ve made it to 5 feet!), but haven’t you heard of the saying, “big things come in small packages?”

I’d like to think of myself in that light because yes, okay, I may be tiny…BUT I have:

-A huge personality

-A huge voice (singing, I mean…)

-A huge appetite (you don’t want to know what I could eat in one sitting…)

-A huge selection of 5-6 inch heels

-A huge obsession with Disney Channel (come on, who doesn’t dream of holding that beautiful, glowing wand…still, to this day…)

-A huge love for anything witty

-And a huuuuuuge crush on Jimmy Kimmel…oh, and Chelsea Handler.

…yeah, who’s small now, huh?

Official link to my first post:

http://writingminor.sweetland.lsa.umich.edu/2013/01/no-noi-am-not-12-years-old-niki-berman/

2 thoughts to “A Trip Down Memory Lane: Would You Change It?”

1. Niki I love the idea of looking back at this post. I found my bio from the sophomore year gateway course, as well. It’s surprisingly short for me! Here it is:

“Elizabeth McLaughlin. No nickname (unless you’re my parents). Southern California native. Midwestern girl. Competitive waterskier. Tour guide. Optimist. Perfectionist. Wolverine. Dancer. Writer. Runner.

Likes: politics, football, boating, social media, traveling, music, singing in the car, sleeping, chocolate, and most likely…you.

“Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” -Confucius”

Looking back at this, I can confirm that not much has changed! I still like all of those items, and the quote from Confucius is still my very favorite. My one qualm? What was up with the Twitter bio formatting Elizabeth? I must have been feeling supremely uncreative or rushed? I think there’s definite room for improvement in the writing category here!

2. This post sparked my interest in looking back at my own writing, Niki, and it was really interesting to see my writing when I first started the minor. I would definitely change how I presented myself, only because I did it in a short amount of time (probably forgot about the deadline….oops) and I don’t feel like I represented myself well the first time around. I loved your bio though; I don’t know you that well, but it seemed really honest and it definitely had your voice in it. That’s something I struggle with (making my writing sound uniquely Kaitlin) so I’m always impressed/a little bit jealous when someone has that down!