I’m not a writer, but I want to be.

Even as a Minor in Writing student, I still don’t really consider myself a writer. I know that probably doesn’t make much sense, but it’s true. When I picture writers, I see people who just write for fun. I see people who write daily about anything and everything. I wish I was one of those people. I never really take time out of my day just to spend some time writing, although I know I should and wish I would. Several times I have considered starting a blog of my own, but I never do it because I don’t actually know what I’d write about. That’s my problem, I suppose. I have even tried out tumblr (back in high school when all my friends decided it was cool), but I guess it just wasn’t really my thing. That type of writing just doesn’t come easily to me. In fact, I’ve actually had quite the time writing this blog post. I am a perfectionist and want everything to be absolutely perfect before I submit it. This whole blogging this is very different from the academic writing I’m good at. I find enjoyment in spending hours editing and re-editing my academic pieces.

I’ve tried to convince my friends to join the minor because I truly believe in the importance of being a skilled writer, regardless of the field a student decides to pursue. From that, I should probably follow my own advice and realize that in order to become a better writer, I need to put more time into it. But at the same time, put less time into it. Not all writing has to be perfectly edited. Sometimes I need to write just to write. If I am able to do this, I think I will finally be able to consider myself a writer. But until then….