Just Get Me a Really Big Closet

The process of choosing was never my expertise. Having gone through my old writing, I selected several pieces and actually structured them in my imagination in order to make the best decision, but then I found there is no better decision because repurposing any of them would be similarly challenging and exciting. So I decided to give up the comparatively more official Autism topic and the co-written short story with my friend; instead, I chose my shopping blog post in summer to present myself and to extend this specified topic into a broader definition of shopping and fashion in relation to economics and life. I believe shopping is more than purchasing; it is a lifestyle that we could establish in our life.

When we talk about economics, we always think of serious economists and sophisticated technical terms. Not so many people have thought of economics as an everyday life item that we can actually touch and feel. I have to admit that I’m a shopaholic. Shopping for me is a necessity and enjoyment while economics is where my interest lies. I hope I can bring my passion of shopping into the economic world, and help people open their eyes and know better about themselves and their shopping choices. My intention is not to educate, but to raise awareness and hopefully to gain the “ah-ha” moment for shoppers through simplified languages and ideas. Additionally, I also want to share my personal opinions, questions, and answers through exploration in the articles.

I anticipated creating a column in Vogue magazine named “Just Get Me a Really Big Closet”, which will include several articles in the discussion of different connections of shopping, economics and psychology. Just like my inspiration Carrie Bradshaw, I want to consider the topic in depth, but still make it easy to understand for everyone. I am excited about my exploration and thinking processes during the repurposing as well as growth and improvement after this project. Quoting Carrie Bradshaw, “Sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past, stop planning the future, stop figuring out precisely how we feel, stop deciding exactly what we want, and just see what happens”, so how about wait and see what will happen? I hope these explanations have furthered your understanding of my project; it will be greatly appreciated if you could point out your confusion (if there is any) and give me any suggestions for later development.

Carrie Bradshaw quotes from Sex and the City

Enni Zhao

If, for the sake of amour and cuisine, I must pay, I would then give my life away.

2 thoughts to “Just Get Me a Really Big Closet”

1. Hi Enni!

As a fellow shopaholic, your repurposing idea is right up my alley, and sounds like it is full of potential. I think that articles combining Economics and Shopping may not be commonplace in magazines like “Vogue,” but as the magazine has started to include a wider variety of topics, it makes sense to include topics deeper than trends and style.

Do you know what kind of format you want your article to be in? It sounds like it may work as a sort of “Ask Amy” advice column. I am just concerned about the article having too much of a science-journal tone. I feel like how you choose your words and your organization will be crucial for keeping the tone suitable for a fashion magazine.

I understand that you want to establish a connection between Economics and Shopping, but have you narrowed down what that connection is? Are you wanting to address shopping on a budget? Money-management? The psychology behind spending? I am confused by your statement, “Shopping is more than purchasing-it is a lifestyle we could establish in our life,” but I think you could re-think and re-phrase it to talk about a really interesting new topic.

Good luck, and I’m super curious to see how your first draft turns out!

2. You have managed to pick two topics, shopping and economics, that I am pretty clueless about, but that’s definitely not a bad thing. I would be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you might have about how something in your project works/sounds for a non-shopper or non-economist. And hopefully by reading your drafts I will pick up on a few shopping tips.

My biggest question for you is related to Sarah’s comment about formatting. What format do you think is going to allow you to best incorporate economics and shopping into 1 argument? A suggestion that I have is writing a few shorter articles in the style of a weekly advice column. These could include topics like “Shopping on a Budget” or “How to Spend Your Christmas Bonus Entirely on Shoes.” Feel free to use or ignore my suggestions as you see fit, but do take some time to think about finding the best format to blend economics and shopping into a piece of writing that sounds natural. Good luck on the upcoming first draft.