Kahn You See Change?

Digital rhetoric.  My first thought that came to mind was Khan Academy.

I’ve read numerous articles and heard multiple arguments for and against it. Point blank: it is changing the way in which we learn and communicate certain subjects.

It is an interesting form of digital rhetoric in that students are able to watch videos and learn about various subjects they may be struggling with. I, personally, have benefited from watching a video here and there while struggling with math (which is definitely not my strong suit.)

The videos are structured for the audience. There are videos for elementary school kids, there are videos for other grade levels, and there are also resources for test prep.

This definitely changes the learning process. Instead of the need to sit in a classroom and learn a topic, students are able to do so digitally.  They can re-wind videos and also do practice problems to test their progress.  This completely changes the typical teacher-student dynamic.

The thought is that through these videos, students will be more interested in learning. There are graphics and drawings to aid in the learning, and providing the online service is a great way to measure knowledge on a subject.

I think as resources such as Khan become more readily available, there is a much greater chance that the way we learn in classrooms is going to change, too. In the last few years we have already incorporated laptops greatly into school curriculums, I am interested to see how this will continue to change in the future!

If you explore/use the Khan academy site, I am interested to hear your feedback and experiences!

Khan
Khan

Amanda Kemmer

Amanda (noun): Ross BBA senior. Avid puppy lover. Detroit International Half-Marathon runner.

2 thoughts to “Kahn You See Change?”

1. Khan Academy is definitely a great example of digital rhetoric! I’m curious; what are the arguments against Khan Academy? Do teachers feel threatened by access to free knowledge? I don’t see Khan Academy as a replacement to classroom learning but rather a supplement. However, if Khan Academy continues to evolve there might come a time when the lesson quality equals or surpasses what is taught at school. The ability to rewind is definitely a plus that is not available in a non-digital website. This makes knowledge accessible to more types of learners. I, myself, can’t keep up with the pace of a regular lecture and without tools such as Blue Review or Khan Academy I would most likely be failing college right now. In terms of digital learning tools entering the classrooms, iClickers are probably the biggest factor currently because they allow teachers to instantly quiz their students and gauge how well the students understand the material. I am also interested to see how digital tools and the rhetoric that come with them change our education system!

2. Yes! This is a really great example of how digital rhetoric has changed how we learn. I’m pretty sure I learned a good chunk of organic chem from Khan Academy, and I think it really makes such a difference to be able to pause and rewind a lecture instead of furiously taking notes without actually absorbing any information. Like Annie, I would want to know more about the backlash you mentioned. I have heard some people mention that some of his information is not always correct and it is not the most comprehensive source, but I don’t think it’s supposed to be the grand authority on all subjects. It does a great job of giving a short, visual foundation on most topics and I think that’s really something to be admired. This model of video-based teaching is really a great way for students to really take in the information; I love it when classes have Blue Review available because I love to just rewatch lectures and take in all the details I missed. I also really like that you mentioned how he accesses specific audiences. That is really important- he makes it easy to understand at your level. Anyway, great choice!