Katie’s Capstone Project

My capstone project, which I am hoping to draft out this weekend (keep your fingers crossed for me!), is the 2015 State of the Union speech as I think it will be presented. I have always been interested in speechwriting (although speech giving freaks me out) and figured this would be a good way to jump right in and try it out!

President Obama’s previous State of the Union Addresses average out to about an hour long, meaning my project would be around twenty pages of double-spaced, twelve-point font writing. I will include pauses for applause, reflection, etc. and will bring Obama’s voice into the project as best as possible.

I’m limited in this project due to the fact that I don’t actually know what he will write about or what stories he will choose to include, but through research I am figuring out what the structure and topics will most likely be.

I may present my capstone project similar to how these speeches are presented on the White House website on my capstone portfolio, with the header included. We shall see!

Here is a link to last year’s State of the Union, which I have been picking apart and reverse engineering: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/01/28/president-barack-obamas-state-union-address

Capstone on and Go Blue, Beat MSU!

-K

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.