Let’s Talk About Texting

As I sat down to write this blog about how I’m still struggling with my repurposing project, my phone buzzed. Then it buzzed again, and again, and continued to buzz until I wanted to throw it against a wall. It was my group text with friends at school—I’m the only one who went home for the weekend and they were trying to decide where to eat for breakfast. As I mindlessly scrolled through these texts that I cared very little about, I realized that I was reading writing, reading words someone typed up in order to get a message across. Texting has changed the way people communicate. Not just in the sense that kids who grew up with phones it their hands will probably start writing papers for school in “text talk” (OMG lol ik! Sry bout tht…), but it has exponentially sped up the communication process. No more hand-written letters or even phone calls that force you to wait for someone to pick up; texts are instant. A texter only has to type a few buttons and then their words are instantly sent to whomever they want, wherever they want.

Is this a good thing? Should people be constantly connected to one another even if it means people may struggle with face-to-face communication or knowing where to put a coma? I know that the texting debate is a hot one, and that those who love it and those who hate it both make valid arguments.I also know that without it, I wouldn’t be able to talk to my friend in Scottland every day or to know what my friends in Ann Arbor are eating for breakfast (not that I really care). Texting doesn’t improve vocabularies and it doesn’t help people communicate in person. It does, however, allow people to stay in touch no matter where they are in the world. I don’t know where exactly I stand in the texting debate. Part of me thinks it’s great that we can communicate with whoever we want so often and so easily, but another part of me hates that fact that the kids I babysit don’t talk to each other because they are too busy finding out the newest gossip from their friends.

I don’t know where I stand in the texting debate–probably somewhere in the middle– but I do know that texting is a form of writing that is not going away anytime soon.