Pitching a Speech

Dear Prospective Publisher,

I am enrolled in the Sweetland Minor in Writing program, and for our Capstone course we are required to take on a rigorous project that is of interest to us as writers. As a senior in the Ford School, I am extremely interested in the intersection of policy and writing.

For my project, I will be writing a State of the Union speech for this January as if I am one of President Obama’s speechwriters. This will require me to learn about speechwriting, the presidency, and President Obama’s political agenda. The speech will be about 20 pages, double-spaced and, if read aloud, will be about an hour long. The intended audience of the project will be Americans who are interested in the health of the nation.

I am proposing that the speech be published in your current events journal. It will run in the December issue, just before the actual State of the Union Address. Readers of the journal will be interested to see how the events you discuss in your journal translate to policy actions. Formatted into the speech will be pictures your journal has previously published this year, illustrating issues such as poverty, education, foreign affairs, and the economy through both written text and images.

My studies in the Ford School make me qualified to write this work. Every day I take courses on the very issues addressed in the annual State of the Union speech. I have interned on Capitol Hill and in advocacy organizations in D.C., so I am very well acquainted with our nation’s politics. Additionally, as a Sweetland Minor in Writing student, I have been encouraged to try new mediums such as this, and have support to complete this project.

I have watched the State of the Union since I was a child. It was always an important night in my household, and its importance to my family is one of the reasons I became interested in politics in the first place. Please allow me to publish this work in your journal. Your photographs combined with my speech will provide your monthly readers with a unique article they won’t soon forget.

Sincerely,

Katie Koziara

SAMPLE

Income inequality continues to be one of our nation’s toughest issues. Inequality exists between men and women, Whites and minorities, and regions of the country. Women continue to make only 78 cents for every dollar earned by men. White Americans have a real median household income of $58,270, which is $18,000 more than Hispanic Americans and $24,000 more than Black Americans. Southern and Midwestern states struggle to reach the household income that their fellow citizens in the Northeast and West bring home. These disparities are unacceptable, and they need to be solved.

Women hold signs demanding Equal Pay for Equal Work

Katie Koziara

During the school year, I can usually be found doing a few things: studying domestic health policy, working as a student coordinator for the Public Service Intern Program, exploring different restaurants around Ann Arbor, running my regular loop around the Big House, or catching up on one of my many, many favorite television shows.