Repurposing Project: what’s my new purpose?

For my repurposing project, I originally planned to take a family history piece I wrote for a sociology class freshman year and turn it into a podcast where I interviewed my family members. In my soc paper I talked about my grandpa and my mom and described how their ascribed characteristics as well as opportunities they faced contributed to their success on the socioeconomic ladder. However, after thinking about my project more I have decided to save the podcast for the remediation project since this will be a huge project to take on. I am now back to square one in terms of deciding how to transform my original work.

My original piece is very informative and organized. The format reminds me of a Prezi or powerpoint presentation, but written in paragraph form. Each paragraph contains a few facts about the people interviewed or the sociological factors that impacted their lives. These paragraphs would correspond nicely to individual slides in a presentation. I thought about actually creating a Prezi for my repurposing project, but the format would not change all that much (i.e. everything would still be listed in the same order as before). Instead, I might turn the piece into more of an opinionated personal narrative. Although the original piece is about my family and part of my own life, the tone is very formal and distant, and lacks any sort of personal voice. I think from here I just need to attempt a few drafts in different styles and see which one I like best.

My question is obviously how should I transform this piece? This might be difficult to answer unless you read my original piece, so I might have to wait until class on Tuesday for more answers.

Annie Humphrey

Boston, MA native. Senior BCN major with premed focus. I love singing, writing, and having meaningful conversations with people.

4 thoughts to “Repurposing Project: what’s my new purpose?”

1. Annie,

I love the idea of turning your family history piece into podcast, but I agree that a podcast would make a better final project. It seems like that is the final form you want the piece to be in.

As for the repurposing project, I would try to choose something that will make the podcast a little easier. LIke you said, creating a podcast is a big job, so if your repurposing project is an intermediate step between the original piece and the podcast, I think that would be helpful. I’m not sure what that intermediate step wold be…so maybe that isn’t great advice.

I do like the idea of a personal narrative that inserts you into the family history. In interviewing your family members, the stories and responses were probably very detached from you and your life. It would be interesting to see how you fit in to those stories and how your family members’ pasts influenced your present.

I feel like I haven’t helped very much, so I’ll just say I don’t think you can go wrong with the personal narrative if that’s what you decide to do!

2. I think it is a really good idea to leave the podcast for the remediation project. I think once you’ve explored your family history more in detail, you’ll have a much better foundation to have a really good, engaging conversation with your grandfather in your podcast. It’s interesting that you mentioned your original paper is very formal, I think with something as unique as your own family’s history, it would be really good to get your personal views and background on it, and I think a narrative would really up the exigency of the whole piece, not only for you, but for readers. I think the hardest thing with these projects (at least for me) is getting the reader to care just as much about the subject as we do as the composers, and a narrative would allow you to appeal to an audience with a pathos that would really make the piece special. I’m not sure if that helped at all, but I really do like the narrative idea!

3. I think it is a great idea to repurpose an academic paper to a personal narrative because there will be more room to express and develop; however, at the same time, the altering process could also be challenging. As you mentioned, the original piece was well organized. What I understand is that the information are listed like bullet points. Therefore, to make it a narrative, large number of details need to be added. For example, you can add background information, narrative stories, and more first person statements. Besides, I think it could be an interesting topic for you to write about because it is so close to you and the resources can be limitless.
    I also have a question about your audience since I believe audience will decide the style and the structure of your writing. Maybe you can take this into consideration when you start to write.
    One last suggestion is that you can write from different angles but all using first person narration. For example, divide your project into three sections: your grandfather, your mother, and you, and then use narrative for all of three sections to represent different perspectives of different generations. I hope it helps but not confuses you. Good luck!

4. I know that we discussed last class that you leave your podcast for the remediation project and I am so happy that you chose to do so! I think that a podcast is a big project to take on, so using the repurposing project as a stepping stone to get there will definitely help. I’m really interested to see the development of your podcast – do you plan on having it more like a questionnaire or a conversation?

Turning your project into a personal narrative could prove interesting. In my opinion, making all the information flow more as a story would really help. Perhaps as a children’s story? I think that a story format, like that, would allow your voice to shine through more since what you are basing your project off of is facts. It would help tie together all of your information and could also allow you to give the reader advice or insight based on how you tell it.

I hope this helps! Best of luck.