Rhetoric and Digitalness…

It’s a terrible feeling clicking onto an assignment page only to find out you’ve already missed the deadline. I had a project and huge midterm today, so haven’t really been an actual human being for the past three days or so.  But it’s over now, so yay. But – on to digital rhetoric.

In one of the comments from Eymand’s article, somebody asked, “Is digital rhetoric just rhetoric that happens to occur in digital spaces, or is there some “native” digital rhetorical theory?” I thought this was such an interesting question and gets to the heart of this whole “digital rhetoric” thing. But, I struggled to really come up with a good answer to the question, so I naturally gave up and went back to my usual practice of surfing the web until I get super bored. And then I kind of realized something – I had been looking at digital rhetoric this whole time. Websites, blogs, videos, memes, video games – it’s all digital rhetoric. My example is from the New York Times website. I have check it every day for one of my classes and think it serves as a good illustration to just how much technology has changed the world of writing.

A screenshot of the New York Times website

The New York Times has often been considered the top of journalism. For so many years, people would get their news from reading the daily paper that was delivered to their doorstep every morning. Oh, how the times have changed. With the recent rise in technology, younger generations much more commonly get their news from the digital world, such as websites on phone apps. Because of this, the world of news has adapted into the digital world. However, this has brought about certain challenges, like how to space stories not in pages, but on a website’s homepage. As you can see in the picture, newspapers like the New York Times have all shifted into the digital world. Newspaper subscriptions have formed into website accounts and half-page ads have converted to corner-page links. The rise of the digital world has certainly changed the game for pretty much everyone involved. And, as the digital world continues to change, the world must change with it.

2 thoughts to “Rhetoric and Digitalness…”

1. Hey Jeff. I see some similarities between our blog posts; I think we both agree that, to some extent, participation with the world of digital rhetoric has become less of a choice and more of a necessity for businesses and organizations. Like you said, there is something inherently different about digital rhetoric (I’m thinking about your example of advertisements online vs those in print). So yeah, for that reason alone I’d say that digital rhetoric is more than just rhetoric that occurs in digital spaces.

2. Jeff,

Personally, I originally thought of digital rhetoric as just rhetoric in a digital form. But you (as well as some people in class) brought up some interesting differences between print and digital media, so I’m not sure that thought is really accurate. Adapting stories to a website rather than a newspaper definitely changes the layout of the articles. Newspapers also don’t have the “home page” that is so instrumental to an online newspaper site. It provides a snapshot of the latest articles…something not possible in a print newspaper. Ads have also become a type of digital rhetoric, which I had never really thought about before, and so they, too, have been adapted. There are definitely more differences than I first saw.