So I’m Basically Ending Misogyny

I know you have all been waiting with baited breath to find out exactly what I will be doing my Repurposing Project on (kidding). Drum roll, please…. well after a very fruitful one on one meeting, I’ve decided to repurpose an old AP Literature essay on the play Medea by Euripides. The original prompt for the essay was essentially how the theme of ‘madness’ illuminated the deeper meaning of the work as a whole, and I accidentally turned it into a bit of a feminist rant on how female characters are portrayed in literature. I thought that would be really fun to repurpose into an online article targeted at young writers about how female characters have been portrayed throughout history in literature and how to proceed when writing “feminist” characters. Initially, I was hesitant because I thought it might become a sort of dry research paper, but I think adding in a personal element about my own experiences with navigating how to write a feminist character and adding in a satirical element could make this quite engaging, not only for me as the writer, but for the audience who could potentially get something out of a piece like this. I think it will be a really good opportunity to learn more about how we develop characters and what kind effect that has on a reader. I guess my biggest questions to tackle at this point are:

1. How do I narrow this topic? There are so many different directions I could take this essay in; I could tackle it from a historical perspective, or use it as a sort of defining essay for what a feminist character is. While the many facets of this topic will all add to the greater purpose, I think it is important to narrow it down just to keep it from getting too out of control.

2. What is my best venue for this piece? If I’m trying to access young, primarily female writers, I figure an online source would be best- but which? I initially thought something like an online version of Time or Reader’s Digest, but other than me, what teenaged-to-college-aged girl reads those? Maybe an online literary journal for young writers? Maybe something like the New Yorker? Maybe even something as colloquial as Buzzfeed? There are so many options, but I guess it is a matter of picking an outlet that is going to fit best with my narrowed down topic.

So basically I’m going to end misogyny in literature and media. And here is a man to tell you why we need to do that:

Joss Whedon Equality Now Speech

Sonalee Joshi

Sonalee is a fourth year student in the College of LSA with an Honors major in Biopsychology, Cognition, & Neuroscience with a Sweetland Minor in Writing.

4 thoughts to “So I’m Basically Ending Misogyny”

1. I’m glad you ended up choosing your AP lit piece to repurpose because it sounds like you have some really awesome ideas! As a feminist myself I’m looking forward to reading your repurposed piece, and I think targeting young writers is a great idea because it’s important to educate and inform people early on about misogyny in literature and the world. Adding personal and satirical elements will definitely make your piece engaging and nothing like a dry research paper.

If you write from a historical perspective, would you reference only Medea or would you talk about several works that feature female characters? Focusing on just one character might help you narrow down your topic. I also like your idea of writing an essay that defines the qualities of a feminist character. It might be easier to make this topic engaging without veering into research mode.

In terms of venue, have you considered a feminist publication? I know Everyday Feminism is an online magazine that has lots of interesting articles that cater toward young people. Forbes also has a list of Top 100 Websites for Women, so you could check that out. If you want a more general website, I’m really not sure what young people read, but I know Buzzfeed actually has some pretty in-depth articles and a lot of teens use that website, so that might be a good choice.

Good luck with your endeavor to end misogyny!

2. Similar to Annie, I am really glad that you chose this for your repurposing project! I know we had a hard time helping you pick which project idea to go with since you had two very different options, but I think that your ideas are really starting to come together.

I completely agree with your comment about this topic being engaging, I know that when reading your description I was eager to hear more about your quest to end misogyny! I hope that in your article you continue your tone that you used in this blog post. I think that it is very suitable for the article you are looking to write. Especially since you are writing for a younger audience.

Personally, I think that using a historical perspective would be extremely interesting. Not only would you be able to tie this in with your arguments regarding Medea, you could also bring in your personal narrative and compare and contrast this to other books, events, etc. If you want to narrow your topic further, I would suggest that you hone in on one specific contrasting piece and weave this into your argument. Have you read another book that epitomizes what you think a feminist writer should aim for? I think this is something to consider.

Annie’s Forbes link was a great suggestion! My personal favorite for your topic was http://www.huffingtonpost.com/women/. The Huffington Post is a well-known magazine; since this is the case, I think that this specific subset of it solely focused on women would make a great outlet for your piece. Plus, a lot of the articles I skimmed through seemed to hold the same feminist stance you are trying to argue.

I hope this helps!

3. Although movies don’t necessarily count as literature (you could argue scripts are still writing), a recent example that instantly popped into my head when reading about your project was the lack of DC/Marvel movies with female leads. Not only the lack of stand alone movies dedicated to female characters like Wonder Woman, but also how female characters are being depicted in other superhero movies could be a potentially interesting and relevant current example.

Regarding format, I would error on the side of being too casual/entertaining/satirical rather than too academic. You mention the New Yorker, and I think that would be a good format for you to present this project. I have read many funny and interesting pieces in the New Yorker that were also informative at the same time. Good luck with the upcoming draft.