The Struggles of Writing

For those of you who I haven’t explained it to yet, my remediation project is going to be a fictional article for The New Yorker online site. I want to argue that cover letters, as a component of applying to and interviewing for a job or internship, are inefficient and outdated. My original piece of writing is a cover letter I wrote for a BuzzFeed Food Editorial internship (at the time I thought it was my dream job) so I also want to include personal anecdotes about my experience.

As I begin writing and planning the scope of my article, one of my biggest concerns is about the actual content itself. I feel like I have so many ideas that I want to write about, including: the history of cover letters and internships, my personal experiences, the opinions of other college students (using survey data), and the specific reasons why cover letters should be obsolete. Even just reading this sentence I realize there are a lot of different directions that my project could go, but I want to make sure I have a cohesive and clearly-written piece.

For now, I am thinking that I might just have to limit how much I elaborate on certain topics, for example briefly describe how cover letters originated and then go into more detail about why I think they shouldn’t be used anymore. I also need to make sure I’m sticking to the general style and tone of the magazine. As far as appearance of the article, I am going to use the website Newsjack to place my article into the layout of The New Yorker. Hopefully once I narrow in on the content my project will begin to look more like a finished piece, but for now these are some of the struggles that I’m experiencing!

A screenshot of the Newsjack website
A screenshot of the Newsjack website

One thought to “The Struggles of Writing”

1. Hi Sara,
    Sounds like you have a really great idea going on this cover letter piece. I agree that you seem to have a bunch of different directions you could take it in and I’ll just share my own opinion that I think your personal anecdotes/ opinions on why cover letters are silly will be more interesting to read (and I’m sure to write) than a history of the cover letter. A way to incorporate the history without getting off topic in your own writing could be to have a hyperlink to a site that gives an in depth history, for those who are interested (think how we link to our own articles on Spoon!) This would still fit in well with your mode of publication since I’m pretty sure all websites add links to their articles these days.
    In terms of the appearance, that website newsjack looks super cool and useful, I might even have to “jack” it from you for my own project, which will be a fake article for a popular news site.

Good luck with the rest of your project!