Constant Change

As I started to read Clark’s article, I already was engaged in it because right off the bat she addressed, “almost every facet of our personal and professional lives has shifted to new uses of communicative technology. With the pervasiveness of Web 2.0 comes a shift in our cultural norms”. I sat back and tried to think about a way of life less than 10 years ago that didn’t include bringing a cellular device with you anywhere you go. Or worse– never getting the lecture notes online or prior to class. Or even worse– never stalking your other friend’s colleges experiences on social media. ¬†This ‘ever changing landscape’ of Web 2.0 continues to shift. Although the Sweetland writing minor is a fairly new program, I bet if this minor was available 30 years earlier, they would have never have¬†guessed that we would be creating a digital project for two of our projects. I agree that there are several benefits from what Clark mentions.

The first benefit is that it is not just one individual to work on one specific thing. With the help of online availability, we can delegate work digitally to create a faster production. However, this does have a downside. This creates a society and world that is faster. Everything MUST happen immediately due everyone having the technology to respond to emails within seconds, etc. Therefore, if you are a lazy person or technologically challenged, then you will be left behind.

One thing that I did not even consider was that more people are now allowed to be published. Clark mentioned that, “artifacts of student learning have the potential to become actual published products, or works-in-process that raise questions around the public/private split of contemporary writing”. Everything written can be considered as a new contemporary piece of writing. THIS IS SO WEIRD BUT definitely a concept to consider. Technically, I can draw a stickman figure and get paid millions for this (you never know… and I feel like weird things have been paid a high price) as a contemporary piece of work, so now this shift from an art piece to a writing piece is no different.

As a student with a major of Communications, I have been learning and engaging with all media tactics/digital rhetoric accounts/everything dealing with the media. Therefore, I know that my experience with creating digital rhetoric will only continue to benefit myself with the line of work I want to pursue. I do know that I can study and adapt to the process of how Web 2.0 is shaping our society. I do not have alternative visions of the 21st century pedagogy because I am already learning so much about digital rhetoric within this class that I am thrilled to continue to learn and pursue. At least within my school district, there were classes offered and issued to students that they must take a certain class that regarded computers/social media/powerpoint/technically applications to use, etc. I think to continue to push these classes at the start of schooling, then students can gradually learn the importance and impacts Web 2.0 have on our lives.

Emily Sejna

I LOVE pizza, Michigan, and cold weather.

2 thoughts to “Constant Change”

1. Emily,

Just yesterday I was browsing Thoughtcatalog, and found a section entitled books. I saw the covers of what looked like hundreds of digital books and my curiosity led me to the “send your manuscript” page. Essentially, anyone can send a manuscript of a book they are working on, if it is at least 5,000 words, and it will be considered for publication through buzzfeed, and then upon its publication, will be sold for 3.99 on amazon, ibooks etc. What I found were books written by 19 and 20 year olds that were published on a site that is often seen as a site that teenage girls look at to gain insight on their ex-boyfriend problems! This was fascinating to me and relates to the point that stuck out to you in Clark’s article: ANYONE can get published these days!

Further, I agree with your point that in such a fast paced digital world- it is easy for someone who is not on their iphone or email game to get left behind. I too, am notoriously slow at responding to texts and emails, and am the last to see what people post in my GroupMe and facebook groups. For these reason, it is the joke of my friends that I am always out of the loop. However, in the professional world, being out of the loop is no joke. Not seeing an email and subsequently not responding to it, depending on how important the email is, can get you fired. So I should probably start getting into a more diligent habit now!

2. Emily,

This faced-past environment you talked about is what stood out to me the most. Being in Ross, we are constantly encouraged to be aware of this environment if we want to make ourselves stand out. I was talking to another student the other day (who has been working on making his own app) and he told me that he had to go back to the drawing boards because someone else just produced an app almost identical to his. This shows just how easy it is to get left behind!

I never really thought of how easy it is to get published as a result of this technology. You and Sophie bring up great points. This becomes an issue with regards to research projects – we are always told to find “academic sources” and this oftentimes is troublesome just because there is so much other information out there. With the ability for people to be published so easily and post online as they wish, finding credible sources can sometimes be challenging!