Adapting Digital Rhetoric in the Classroom

In this essay, I have seen a few parts that legitimately make sense to me. All of these different forms of digital rhetoric from ePortfolios to blogs allow for different types of learning in the classroom. The collaboration and empowerment involved in making and planning out the ePortfolios especially is where I agree with her the most.

There were two statements in the portion of ePortfolios that I thought made the most sense. “Students use their portfolios to demonstrate an authority over their own lives and educational trajectories and to establish online identities built on the quality, content, and character of their own work.” I have to say, with writing my own ePortfolio I think this is true. As I continue to work on my ePortfolio, I feel more and more as though I have control over my own story and digital content. This is something I have created. Something that I can proudly display to many people as my own. Not to mention it looks a lot better than anything I have done on my own personal blog. This is a sense of pride I don’t have when it comes to other assignments I have done in other classes. This is something I can continue to mold, edit and present, that I feel makes me an “expert” on a certain topic.

At the same time, this statement is true as well. “This is a dramatic example and one I am glad to say has not repeated itself in my courses. However, students—and in fact most users of Web 2.0 technologies—have yet to fully understand the implications of living a publicly accessible life.” A lot of us still do not understand the full extent of what it means to “be out there” to the rest of the world. We tend to think that no one else can see what we post, but in reality everyone can. The more well-known public spaces such as Facebook and Twitter are where the serious dangers come from, but even in our ePortfolios. As I have worked on assignments, I have tried to make sure that I have not done anything that could negatively affect me beyond the scope of the class. That is why I have been so careful as to not use photos that were not already provided by Weebly’s search engine. All of those pictures are open through the creative commons website, but I am still nervous as to what I might accidentally “steal” and could come back to haunt me. Hopefully, most of, if not all of what I make is my own original content.

Clarence Stone

A sports fanatic from Detroit Michigan. The moment I put a pencil to paper, I realized that writing was something that I cared about, and I can't wait to become better.