An Unconventional Thanksgiving

It’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving has come and past already!  So much anticipation and here it is…already Saturday!

Anyone who has talked to me throughout this semester knows that it has been a rough one for me.  I have been extremely sick with things such as pink eye and an ear infection and every time I think I am getting better it has all turned for the worse.

This happened again over Thanksgiving.  

Upon having extreme pain when I swallowed, I went to urgent care and found out that I have mono.

At first, I was really upset.  I work out a lot, make a point of eating healthy, write down what I am grateful for everyday – yet I get this sick?

Just didn’t seem fair.

When the doctor told me that I need to get lots of rest, drink fluids, and avoid physical activity I must have looked at him like he was crazy.  Anyone that knows me knows that this is pretty much impossible.  As I write this now, I am guilty of having pushed my tired body to the gym this morning…which led to my inability to get out of bed for the rest of the day.

Let’s just say that my lesson was learned: Listen to the doctor. Got it.

Although I am exhausted, in the spirit of Thanksgiving and my topic all semester long (gratitude), I still have so much to be thankful for.  I will continue writing my list of things I am grateful for everyday, because although life may get you down at times, it’s important to pick yourself right back up and move on.

When life gets you down
When life gets you down

With finals around the corner, this means getting rest so that I can do my best on the exams.  This also means giving it my all since I have worked so hard all semester long.

I generally prefer the more spaced out final projects (as we have done in the Minor) to final exams just because I feel that these are more comprehensive of what a student has learned throughout the semester.  These are also less stressful for me since I don’t like having one moment in time determine what I know about a topic.

But, we will all push through and be done in a few weeks and before we know it it will be Winter Break!

Amanda Kemmer

Amanda (noun): Ross BBA senior. Avid puppy lover. Detroit International Half-Marathon runner.

3 thoughts to “An Unconventional Thanksgiving”

1. Hi Amanda,

Firstly, I hope you feel better! It is certainly unfortunate that you have had to face so much this semester, especially over Thanksgiving. Like you said, though, your topic could not be more fitting for this time of year. Sicknesses will come and go (although they seem to come more frequently than they go at this time of year) but the things you are thankful for are here to stay and so much more impactful. Your project came out really well and I certainly struck a chord with me. I can’t imagine a better time but Thanksgiving to start to really focus on a sense of gratitude. Hopefully next semester will be a fresh, healthy start! Love the gif, by the way. Dori is the perfect inspiration to keep on going.

Great job again and hang in there!

Anisha

2. Oh no… I could not stop reading right after you wrote “and every time I think I am getting better it has all turned for the worse. This happened again over Thanksgiving.” I am so sorry you have to go through that! Hopefully that it will not slow you down to finish this semester off well.

One thing that I think I find awesome is that you write down what you are thankful for on a daily basis. I know everyday there is something that I mention in my head like “wow I am so lucky to have this opportunity” but I do not write it down. I think that everyone should start doing something of this sort to acknowledge how fortunate we are in life (especially those at Michigan). Because with everyone acknowledging how fortunate and grateful we are, then people will most likely become more self-aware of passing on acts of kindness on a daily basis.

Every week my coach gives our team three goals of the week. Last week one of the goals was to compliment a teammate. But it seems so natural (to me at least) to do something like that on a daily basis. This reminds me of one of the parts in your Remediation Project when you asked the question, “When was the last time you did something for someone?” So when people struggled to answer I was like “huh, I think we all need to kind reminding ourselves that all the little things count”. And that is why I’ve enjoyed reading your post because although you’ve been through a lot of sickness this semester, you still find “the silver lining”. I hope you feel better!

3. Amanda,

Being in poor health as a college student is simply the worst, and I am so sorry that you have been dealing with health issues for the better part of your semester. Although you recognize that you are in a pretty sucky situation, I appreciate your ultimate positive outlook on the end of the semester. I like that you have taken into practice the teachings of your iMovie centered around the idea of gratitude, and its importance to our personal health and happiness. Being sick over thanksgiving might make some forget about the purpose of the Holiday, but you seem to have maintained perspective and remained grateful through it all. I wish you the best of luck on your finals, and your end of the semester work!