Diving in Headfirst

Admittedly, I was terrified to add a foreign technological component to my Tumblr. I was a wimp and decided to add the easiest media to work with to my blog first, and save the infographic, which I have never done before, for last. So I started with pictures, videos, podcasts, and news articles until Naomi encouraged us to step out of our comfort zones.

So far, so good. I began creating an Infographic about the history of Sabra Hummus that I want to model after this clever example from Bon Appetit: http://www.bonappetit.com/trends/article/huy-fong-s-sriracha-hot-sauce

The platform I’m using, Infogram, is fairly simple. It’s free, and it has a ton of well-designed free templates. It’s drag-and-drop technology is super easy to learn and I feel comfortable adding text and images. It even saves automatically. The only caveats are that you cannot adjust text size (or text formatting in general), which is annoying because I want to add in links as captions to photos, and I don’t want them to be super big. I also wanted certain parts of the timeline on my infographic¬†to have larger fonts than others, but I will have to play around with and readjust the look of my infographic in general to make certain parts of my text stand out more than others.

This screenshot doesn’t cover the majority of the content of my infographic, but it gives you an idea of where I’m going in terms of design. Let me know if you have any suggestions, especially if you have used this technology before.

Beginnings of my infographic...

Sarah Schuman

Hi! I'm Sarah, from the Chicago area. I write more eloquently with a chai latte by my side.

3 thoughts to “Diving in Headfirst”

1. Sarah,

First of all, thank you for helping me so much in class; hearing about your infographic definitely inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and try something new! I think you have a really great start with what you screenshotted. I’ve never used infographic so I cannot give you any pointers as to the actual medium, but I love the colors and font and think you’re off to a great start!

2. Hi Sarah,
    Congratulations on your step out of your comfort zone. I think that is what this class really meant to do for us. I would do something totally strange to me as well. Hope all of them work well for us. Though I’m not planning to do infographic, but I would love to hear about your experience and skills you have learned about infographic. It’s so good to be in the same group again with you. I feel we are seeing each others’ progress on all these different projects. Thanks for giving me all those great suggestions.

3. Hi Sarah,

I think this project is going to be really cool. I never thought about making an infographic about food, but I have used infogr.am for another class. I also know the trickiness that is using Tumblr. Tumblr is probably the LEAST difficult social blog to use, but I understand how tricky it can be when you first start using it. The best thing about Tumblr however is that there is a huge community that it creates among its users. I’m sure if you simply searched hummus in Tumblr’s tag search, you would find at least something slightly similar to what you’re looking to create. These could serve as examples that you could use, and the best part is, you can message the blog owners to ask how they did it!