Every Setback has a Silver Lining

My Remediation Project has changed so much since the very beginning.  For my storyboard, I originally planned to do a comparison of students in Chicago versus students in Ann Arbor (since I was in Chicago this past weekend).  I wanted to interview a lot of individuals and do a couple in-depth interviews to get a broad base from which I could draw from.  I was very excited with how my storyboard planning went; I had it all planned out with the various angles I wanted to film from and which parts I would have a voice-over for.

My hope was to find similarities and differences between these students and give a comparison to the viewer.  It was very frustrating, though, to have such difficulty filming in Chicago.  First and foremost, trying to film on a game-day weekend is never an easy accomplishment…especially when you are extremely sick.  It was so frustrating!  I went there with hopes of feeling better, but to no avail. As I sit in my bed writing this, I am still extremely annoyed at how my body cannot seem to shake this fever/sore throat/congestion.

But every setback has a silver lining, right?

Being sick has given me time to think of how I want to change my approach: I have now decided to do a comparison of students in Ross versus students in LSA.  Since I am a student in both programs, I thought it would be interesting to see if there are similarities/differences among the two studies of individuals at Uofm.  This change in thought has also shifted how I am thinking of setting up my ePortfolio; I want my ePortfolio to be representative of how I am a student in both since they make up who I am.  Luckily, my planning for my ePortfolio has not been nearly as frustrating  since I have a pretty clear idea of how I want to set it up.

My storyboard for the Remediation project will stay almost exactly the same since I am still doing a comparison of two groups of students, which was my original plan. I am even more excited now since the topic hits closer to home.  I can’t wait to feel better and get filming this week!

Storyboard pg 1
Storyboard pg 1

Storyboard pg 2
Storyboard pg 2
Storyboard pg 3
Storyboard pg 3
Storyboard pg 4
Storyboard pg 4

Amanda Kemmer

Amanda (noun): Ross BBA senior. Avid puppy lover. Detroit International Half-Marathon runner.

2 thoughts to “Every Setback has a Silver Lining”

1. Amanda–First, I hope you are feeling better… But secondly, I am very happy that you were able to think of another idea for a comparison of groups before scrapping the whole thing! This is huge because it already shows how you are “thinking outside the box”. This class has created this new side of thinking for writing (well, for me at least), so I feel like we are both getting a lot out of this class because it has shifted the ways for us to think. I am very curious to see the results you gather from the B-school students and LSA students. Hopefully, that the overall report will say that both groups of students have similar situations because they are all students of UM. Finally, I like your additional thought of showing this within your e-portfolio as well. I am still debating on how I want to include my “athlete” self into my e-portfolio because it only represents the “student” part. I guess that I can just hope to keep messing around with my e-portfolio to figure out what I like. Or maybe your e-portfolio will spark an idea for me. Feel better!

2. Hi Amanda,

Firstly, I really admire your positive attitude. There is never an ideal time to be sick but you certainly made the best out of it! I was really impressed by your video when we watched it in class and you clearly put a lot of thought into it. It was really compelling and definitely had the ‘feel good’ feeling you were trying to achieve. You made a strong argument about gratification through your interviews. Although your video didn’t turn out exactly as you thought it would, I think that’s a large part of this process. It’s actually quite fun to see how a project like yours develops. I think that interviewing LSA and Ross students was a very interesting choice, and one much more personal to you being in both schools.

One interesting aspect of your video was the use of music. I certainly thought it evoked a very poignant feeling and went well with your content. This is something that made me think if I should use music for mine as well so it definitely evoked thought. As for your question concerning your decision to include that not all students could remember their last random act of kindness- I think it’s good to keep it in. It’s honest and also makes the viewer think of whether or not they could have named their last random act of kindness. Thanks so much for sharing your project! Great work and I’m excited to see your portfolio.